Mandrake 9.0 hates i845E

Guest Speed King

Speed King,

I can see u have a real problem. Here is another suggestion. I suppose u have a /home directory on a partition of its own. If yes, do these:

1. Install mdk-9.0 once again such that /home is not formatted. This will get u back the old kernel without affecting ur home dir.

2. Boot with the old kernel and modify /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf to handle the new kernel

3. Install the new kernel such that both kernels are present. Boot from the new kernel and see if the system can boot. If not u can fall back to the old kernel to rectify any erroneous entries in /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf.

4. Once u can boot from the new kernel, remove the old kernel.

Guest Speed King

I have /home as a seperate partition and I followed r instructions and I've got 9.0 running again - on the old kernel that is. I installed the new kernel from rpm package format and run lilo -v and all seemed good.

I rebooted and the new kernel gave me kernel panic. I resetted and booted from the original kernel and changed all the references to hdcX to hdgX in fstab. I updated the 2.4.19-20 kernel entry to root=hdg5 instead of the original hdc5.

I then try to run lilo -v and it complains that hdg5 is not a number. If only I can force lilo to update then maybe, just maybe the dam thing will work.

I can now boot the original kernel but still not the new one.

I've posted this prob on manydifferent forums and this probs got everyone stumped:(

This one is a long shot, but I recall a similar problem with my Promise Ultra 100 controller card. I know you have an on board Promise controller but the same issue may be present. I came across this issue trying to get the card to work properly in Md 8.2. My IDE configuration was as follows:

On Board

IDE 1: DVD drive-Master, Slave open

IDE 2: CD-RW drive-Master, Slave open

Promise Controller

IDE 3: 60 GB Hard Drive -Master, 20GB Hard Drive-Slave

IDE 4: Nothing

I exchanged emails with a guy that was having tremendous problems getting linux to install and/or boot. His configuration was similar except he had a CD burner on IDE 4 Master. As soon as he removed the burner to one of the on board IDE ports, everything was fine. We experimented with different configurations and found that having anything on IDE 4 really screwed things up for linux.

You may have a similar issue with your on board Promise controller, i.e. something about that fourth IDE Promise port that linux doesn't like.

You may have a similar issue with your on board Promise controller, i.e. something about that fourth IDE Promise port that linux doesn't like.
Actually, thats not the problem here. My comments below will explain it.

I then try to run lilo -v and it complains that hdg5 is not a number. If only I can force lilo to update then maybe, just maybe the dam thing will work.
Sorry, I should have realised that. Its not lilo's fault. Since the old kernel does not detect IDE2 and IDE3, lilo does not see hde-hdh. One way out (already suggested) is to move the linux drive (currently hdg) to hdc (if u want, u can move the cd-rw drive to hdg). Then boot using the new kernel.

1. Once u can boot with the new kernel, u can modify /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf so as to reflect the configuration of ur old drive setup (hdg=linux drive, hdc=cd-rw).

2. Run lilo -v. It should work now.

3. Shut down ur machine.

4. Restore old drive config (move cd-rw to hdc and linux drive to hdg).

5. Power on.

Guest Speed King

I did the switch and the thing now boots the new kernel:)

Trouble is that I still can't modify lilo and run lilo-v to allow me to change the drive back to hdg5. It still complains for some reason. My burner is also not working on the promise controller. It obviously doesn't like it so I can't keep the drives swapped. Even my Windows install can't see the burner when it is on the Promise controller.

Looks like I'm pretty much stumped. Is there any way I can boot the installtion program using the new kernel version so I can install MDK 9 with the new kernel instead of the old one. The likelyhood is that it isn't possible but with Linux u just never know. Its a longshot but will it work?

Guest Speed King

Lost my Linux install once again.

I've given up for now until Mandrake 9.1 comes out or I can get a hold of SuSE 8.1 or Red Hat without Bluecurve.

BTW - what's df - T

I think I know why lilo was giving you trouble. Each time you tried editing lilo to hdg there was no hard drive on hdg from linux's point of view. You either booted from the old kernel in which case hdg was not detected because IDE 1 & 2 were not detected or you booted under the new kernel with your linux drive on hdc and no hard drive on hdg. I think lilo was just reporting that it couldn't see a hard drive on hdg. If the above is correct, you may have been able to edit lilo to hdg by booting with the new kernel and the linux drive on hdc and also temporarily putting your other hard drive on hdg.

You either booted from the old kernel in which case hdg was not detected because IDE 1 & 2 were not detected
U mean IDE 2 and 3. I think ur diagnosis is correct: if lilo finds no hard-drive in hdg, it will fail to write and report an error. Only way out is to put a 2nd hard-drive on hdg.

BTW - what's df - T
It shows u currently mounted filesystems (including all mounted hard-drive partitions).

Anyway, which of the 3 hd's has the MBR (Master Boot Record) ? I am assuming lilo is writing into the MBR.

Guest Speed King

I thought bout putting a hdd on hdg but I soon realised that this was imposible with the default kernel because it can only see one of my ide controllers meaining hdd is the highest I can go with one functioning IDE controller.