Mandrake 9.0 hates i845E

Guest Speed King

Guest Speed King

Installing Mandrake 9.0 doesn't go smooth on my i845E+ICH4 motherboard. For some reason it only detects devices on my onboard Promise ATA/133 RAID controller (not using RAID) and won't recognise any devices on my Intel IDE controllers.

I also can't enable DMA on any drives and they all run in PIO mode.

Has anyone got Mandrake 9.0 playing nice on an i845E+ICH4 platform?

This happens during installation and after the system is up and running

Guest joehill

"Just noticed an updated kernel is available for Mandrake 9.0

this from PCLinuxOnline:

So far only appears to be on ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu but should sync to other soon.

Package: kernel kernel-BOOT kernel-doc kernel-enterprise kernel-secure kernel-smp kernel-source

Updated: Tue Feb 4 15:47:45 2002

Importance: bugfix

An updated kernel for 9.0 is available with a number of bug fixes. Supermount has been completely overhauled and should be solid on all systems. Other fixes include XFS with high memory, a netfilter fix, a trap fix, a fix for Sony VAIO DMI, i845 should now work with UDMA, and new support

for VIA C3 is included.

related?

Guest Speed King

I managed to get Mandrake 9.0 installed again and got the same PCI resource collision error and as a result couldn't see my IDE devices on the ICH4 controller. I could use the promise controller for the install and that is what I did.

Once I got it installed I installed the new kernel and ran lilo. When I booted the new kernel it picked up the ICH4 cotroller and other devices and enabled DMA on them but I have a big problem that my newbie experience is too little.

I get a Kernel Panic when Linux attempts to mount filesystems. Could this be because with the new kernel and my other drives are recognised, the device code (hda,hdb,hdc you get the picture) have changed.

My IDE config is

Intel Primary Master - 40GB (not detected during install - but set as "hda" with new kernel)

Intel Primary Slave - None

Intel Secodary Master - CD-RW (not detected during install - but set as "hdc" with new kernel)

Intel Secondary Slave - None

Promise Primary Master - 80GB (detected as hda during install - but set as "hde" with new kernel)

Promise Primary Slave - None

Promise Secondary Master - 20GBLinux (detected as hdc during install - but set as "hdg" with new kernel)

Promise Secondary Slave - DVD (detected as hdd during install - but set as "hdh" with new kernel)

You see my Linux boot drive partition changes from "hdc5" to hdg5" with the kernel versions. How do I get around this if that is the problem?

Your going to have to at least edit your /etc/fstab file and possibly your /etc/lilo.conf file as well. The trouble is accessing them now that you can't boot normally. I would try to move your drives arround as to mimic your original configuration before the intel idel drives were recognized by the new kernel. Swap the positions of your CD-RW and 20GbLinux drives which will put your linux drive back on hdc where lilo expects to find it. I think that should be enough to allow you to boot. If you boot successfully with the above, post back with the contents of your /etc/fstab file and where you want all your drives to end up and we can go through how to edit the file.

Promise Primary Master - 80GB (detected as hda during install - but set as "hde" with new kernel)  

Promise Primary Slave - None  

Promise Secondary Master - 20GBLinux (detected as hdc during install - but set as "hdg" with new kernel)  

Promise Secondary Slave - DVD (not detected during install - but set as "hdh" with new kernel)

This makes no sense at all. For IDE0 and IDE1, hda, hdb, hdc and hdd are set devices in linux. There is no reason why they should change.

U mention a promise controller. Can u disable it during boot and see if that helps ?

Also, report this problem/bug in https://qa.mandrakesoft.com .

Guest Speed King

I can't swap places with the burner because for basic booting off CD or DOS where I need CD support (Ghosting Programs etc) don't recognise the promise controller thus limiting me to useing the Intel onboard controller for at least on CD drive. Also my burning software won't pick the burner up on the Promise Controller.

I edited fstab and lilo.conf to reflect what the drives are labeled under the new kernel to what it shows upon boot of the new kernel before I get kernel panic, and they are correct.

The only problem I had was when trying to update lilo. It would say the line which points to the root fs of the new kernel (with ICH4 support) is an invalid number. All I had to do was change it from hdc5 to hdg5 but I doesn't like it.

I tried to boot the machine with the changes I made to see what happens and I'm totally locked out. All it does is Kernel Panic.

There should be a way you can get Linux to recognise all uv done is change partitions for god sake. Even crappy 98 still booted for me on my old PC when I shifted drive positions.

Guest Speed King

ndeb - The names do infact change if I boot from the new kernel because when it detect all the IDE devices it lists all 5 for the new kernel but with the original mdk9 kernel it only picks up the three that are on the the promise controller.

When booting from the new kernel the I get a kernel panic when trying to mount the root filesystem which clearly indicates that the device partion label hdc5 does not exist so this proves that my drive labels have changed.

I can't disable the Promise controller otherwise I won't get Linux to even install let alone start since it won't pick up my Intel IDE controller.

Ok, I got it now. So its seeing the promise controller as IDE2 and IDE3. Can u exchange ur linux 20GB hd with ur CD-RW drive so that the linux hd becomes hdc ? Once u boot into linux, u can play around with ur drive settings as much as u want.

Guest Speed King

Can't swap devices round. Some of my drives don't like each other and worse still my CD-RW won't play nice with any device hooked up on its channel. The burner has to stay where it is coz I need it there to boot from CD, basically meaning I can't get the Linux drive back into hdc5 to boot properly.

There has to be someway to easily update partition locations and rearrange drives under Linux. I've had no trouble doing this under Windows at all - well maybe for a few path listings but they were easily changed.

If u have the mandrake install cd:

1. Boot from it

2. At the boot prompt, type linux rescue

3. Login as root

4. Run this command:

chroot /mnt

5. Now modify the file /etc/lilo.conf. After the edition, run:

lilo -v

Check if the command is successful.

6. Modify /etc/fstab as well.

7. Logout and reboot.

Guest Speed King

Still gives me an error when trying to update lilo using lilo -v

It whinges bout hdg5 not being a number. hdg5 is the corrent drive/partition label I need to use if I boot from the new kernel but booting off the Mandrake Cd leaves me with the old kernel and no support for the ICH4 IDE controller, Thus updating lilo in this mode is

no different from udating how I did it before.

Might just have to upgrade to MDK9.1 when it comes out.

A mate who has a similar board runs RH8 with no probs but I hate bluecurve!

Temporarily get that linux drive on hdc and it will boot; temporarily remove the CD burner if you have to.You can put it back where you want after editing.

Edit /ect/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf along the lines suggested using kedit which is like notepad and much easier for newbies to use. That's why I suggested you swap out the drives. After editing(and running #lilo) shut down and put the hardware back where you want it. Reboot and you should be fine.

If your not familiar with how to edit these files post back the contents of fstab and lilo.conf and we can tell you what to edit so when you change your hardware back the way you want it will work. Basically, you just have to switch the partition "hdx" designations around to correspond to their new names and add entries for the undetected stuff. It's not hard; just a little daunting if you've never done it. If you do the following commands you can open these files and edit them in kedit. You must be root to do so:

$su

<password>

#kedit /etc/fstab

#kedit /etc/lilo.conf