Updating via urpmi [solved]

Dustpuppy

I decided to update my 10.1 box straight to 2006. Set the sources to 2006 via easyurpmi and then urpmi --auto select. It got to the 72nd package and found something to do with GLIBC that it didn't like, tried to restart urpmi and then came up with segmentation fault (core dumped). I restarted into command line mode, but anything to do with urpmi (even urpmf) gets the segmentation fault error returned. I can't start X because of a GLIBC error.

Help! What do I do? I can't install 2006 straight as I don't have access to the .iso's!

Edited by Dustpuppy

Yikes!! You should always update urpmi first when doing this sort of thing. So try to update just urpmi. Then try to run the full update again. All of this can be done from the command line. If you want a gui, try to use fvwm or some small window manager that may not have been seriously affected by the partial upgrade.

A further idea would be to force an install of urpmi from the disks you do have, and then update urpmi first.

Try to use the old command "rpm -i", or I think in this case it would be "rpm --force xxx.xxx.xxx.rpm" Look through the files and identify the urpmi rpm files. If you get a depend problem, keep working backwards until you can begin the install, although "force" should not give you any depends. Also, this may be a bit of a trashed system! There are some others here wo might have some better ideas.

Thanks!

I'm getting the feeling that a basic re-install of 10.1 followed by an urpmi update will be the way to go: I think you're right and the current installation is rather trashed. Luckily everything's backed up, so it'll be annoying rather than a disaster.

Unless anyone thinks my system can be raised from the dead as it is?