i586 or x86-64 platform? [solved]

lakelover

I know I'm revealing my ignorance but I gotta find out which platform I have. When ordering 10.2, I assumed I had i586. Everything has worked well, except KDE crashed a few times. I'm about to order Mandriva Linux 2006, and I want to make sure I'm getting the correct package. I have a Dell Dimension 2300, with a Celeron processor. The chip set is an Intel 845GL according to the specs. I don't see a reference to i586 or x86-64, in the specs.

I assume one of the system reporting programs will tell me but I haven't been able to find such an animal.

Jerry

Jon's correct, you'll want to be running i586. x86-64 is only for 64 bit processors.

Some people have found that running normal i586 systems on 64 bit processors work really well and nice and fast too. I've known people to even have problems trying to get the x86-64 working on a 64 bit processor!

That doesn't mean you should't buy it, because they're will be a way to get it working, but your system only requires i586.

Hope that helps to understanding it all a bit more :P