ACL support in EXT3

Guest Deamon

Guest Deamon

:twisted: Hi Everybody

I have a question for MDK9 , my linux box had partition / ext3 4G and /home XFS 2G , I can use the getfacl and setfacl command to setup the access control list in /home xfs partition successfully , but I can't use this command in / ext3 partition , but Iseen the kernal was applyed the ext3 acl partch inside , when I use the setfacl command in ext3 partition so will display the error message "Operation not support" , so how cna I enable this feature in ext3 partition ?

Thanks you

:twisted: Hi Everybody

I have a question for MDK9 , my linux box had  partition / ext3 4G  and /home XFS 2G , I can use the getfacl and setfacl command to setup the access control list in /home xfs partition successfully , but I can't use this command in / ext3 partition , but Iseen the kernal was applyed the ext3 acl partch inside , when I use the setfacl command in ext3 partition so will display the error message "Operation not support" , so how cna I enable this feature in ext3 partition ?

Thanks you

Mount with the 'acl' option.

Ie, mount /dev/hdXY /mnt/path -o acl

Or add 'acl' (without the quotes) to the options section (which normally has 'defaults') of the fstab entry for the partition.

Can someone explain what ACL brings to the system. I know what ACL are, but are the features of ACL worth the extra complexity for a typical Unix?

Besides, when ACL is enabled, are there any tools at all (Konqueror, GMC, Nautilus...) that are aware of it?

Yves.