confused about installing

supermario

alright this is my fourth try at linux, and let me tell you, its been fun/annoying at times. I've tried u(k)buntu, mandriva le 2005, and now 2006. Im not able to connect to the internet with my linux box so i have to download rpms using XP and saving then installing on my box. heres the problem, i got a urpmi from P.L.F. and i decided to download all the files in the directory. i was under the impression that it contained every single thing i would need to have multimedia working properly but needless to say when i went to install the the rpms i downloaded, it said i had several dependencies missing and that i had to get them. Is there a way for me to know what dependencies i'll need before hand? I found a SUSE site that listed programs, and its dependencies, but i haven't found anything like that for mandriva. Should I go ahead and install LE instead of 2006 since its been out for sometime and it would have more rpms? any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am unsure what program you are actually trying to install. Regardless of the distro, depends are always an issue with installing packages, and no interneet connection does make it challenging. If you are getting anything from plf, you will have depends.

Tell us what the package is thatyou are trying to use, and we'll try to generate a depends list so that you can get all that you need when you are connected.

Nevermind, i didn't read the pop up, it asked if i wanted to install two dependencies, and i hit yes and it installed it. I think i have what i need, so far. Im racking my brain with imwheel right now. playing with linux makes a 12hour shift short. BTW is there a site like PACKMAN for suse but for mandrake instead? I was looking at clubmandriva, is that worth it?

Mandriva should automoatically set up your mouse wheel. The last time I had to manually configure imwheel was Mandrake 7.1, I believe.

You should try an internet connection. Easy-Urpmi at the top of our board is one such way of configuring Mandriva for easy installation of new software. Otherwise, one of the packages with 5 cd's would contain almost all of the software with depends that anyone would need, Almost every resource, including the club, is best with an internet connection.

I agree about the Easy-Urpmi, but I cannot connect my laptop to my network. Something about mac filtering that won't let me, i've tried awhile back. anyways, when i was installing 2006 RC2 my wireless mouse was working, a bit choppy, but working. when i booted into KDE, all i got was up and down and insane clicking. Im thinking about installing 2005 since i have the dvd. but i rather spend all my shift looking for info on 2006 and its setup. i was finally able to get to the right folder(imwheel) using Konsole, but i couldn't configure because i had not C compiler, go figure, i spent all shift trying to get my damn mouse to work. I just about slammed my laptop on the ground. I was able to install CEDEGA perfectly, i also installed dvd playback, i've just got a couple more things to do. i think i should have gone into this with a plan. i should have set a priority list and try to tackle one at a time, its all part of the learning experience though. thanks for your help and support guys.

:D

What I'm saying is that imwheel is already installed in the system. You should not have to compile it at all!

well i reinstalled RC2 and its working sorta ok. my mouse is driving me nuts so i decided to skip it and go onto my ati drivers. i don't have 3d support yet so thats what im working on now. i installed cedega and point2play and they work, i was also able to install cod using loki. i'll keep you posted.

ps KONSOLE is kicking my a$$. later

AHAHAHA im going nuts, i've installed the latest ati driver yet when i run point2play it tells me my video card manufacturer is MESA PROJECT, type Mesa GLX Indirect, no video ram. i think im gonna ram my head against the wall. i quit linux for the day.

Edited by supermario

Yoiu may as well know that ati does not have the greatest linux support! This is a known problem among users. It's really why many of us prefer nvidia. ati is a great card, but not if they don't adequetly support linux. Nvidia has been supporting linux for several years.

im thinking about ordering this.

http://linuxcentral.com/catalog/index.php3...d_code=L000-495

should i go ahead and order from these guys, what do you guys think? one more thing will i be able to get mp3 and video support from these 7 cds?

or this. http://www.linuxcd.org/view_item.php?id_di...b03daf7a4936b5c

whats the difference, and don't say well one has 7 discs and the other has four. why does one have more than the other? thx.

Edited by supermario

If you want to purchase cd's of the download version, I recommend using http://www.cheapbytes.com

Otherwise, I would recommend buying the official release from the Mandriva store. The download version is, well, available for free. If you do not have a broadband connection, that can be a tedious experience. The official release has drivers and some proprietary stuff that make sit easier to configure most systems (without looking for more downloads) and does contain some software that is technically not free.