modem & printer

Guest gitm

I want to be able to setup an internet connection but i'm not sure if my modem will work in linux.

in hardware it shows up under "other"

but when i try to connect it says modem not found or it says modem busy.

The modem is Agere systems pci softmodem.

How do i setup internet in mandriva?

My printer is not listed but it finds my printer canon mp110. but says not listed and finds a compatable printer canon bjc1000.

when i try to print test page it says on screen "printing" and it says on the screen of printer "printing" as well. But it doesn't print.

Can anyone help?

The Lucent winmodem may or may not work.

The existing driver is closed source, and as such available only in the Commmercial/Club Mandriva packages. More than that, it does not work with all Lucent/Agere winmodems.

Run "lcpci" under a root console ( or even "lspci -vv" for more verbose output) and paste here the part referring to your modem- it will help finding if its supported or not.

The printer (which is actually an AIO machine) isn't supported yet, and you shouldn't hold your breath as Canon does not have good Linux support.

Thanks for the info, this is what came up:

02:01.0 Communication controller: Agere Systems ( former Lucent Micro electronics ) v.92 56k Winmodem ( rev 03 )

Subsystem: Agere Systems ( former Lucent Microelectronics ): Unknown device 044c

Control: I/O+ Mem+ Busmaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGAsnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

Status: Cap+ 66Mhz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=medium >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-

Latency: 64 (6300 ns min, 3500ns max)

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

Region 0: memory at fdcff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

Region 1: I/O ports at df00

Region 2: I/O ports at de00

Capabilities: [F8] Powermanagement version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2+ AuxCurrent= 160mA PME ( D0-, D1-, D2+, D3hot+, D3cold+)

Agere have Linux drivers for some of its softmodems, for instance those which are used in thinkpads (AC'97 modem). I did not have much luck with those drivers though, slmodem www.smlink.com worked Okay on the other hand.

Thanks i downloaded it but i have no idea how to install it. :cry:

sorry i just don't know linux well. I've been wanting to learn for ages but so far it has been a lot of problems.

Do i install as i did with Updates CD ROM? or do i actually have to type in where to install it? thanks for your help.

Edit: It may be a good idea to do a google search first. Most likely, you will find that someone else has had the same problem and has solved it.

I guess you downloaded a distro independent tarball, i.e., an archived source package with extension .tar.gz or .tgz. First you need to unpack it. You can use ark utility for that, though my preference is to use command line:

tar -xzvf packagename.tgz

or

gzip -d  packagename.tar.gz
tar -xvf packagename.tar

Either way, a new directory will be created which should contain a README file and/or INSTALL file. Read them first, they will provide installation instructions. In most cases, all you need to do is configure, compile and install. Though it might sound scary, it's only matter of running several commands from the command line, some (at the installation step, may require logging as root. Have no fear, you don't have anything to loose and you won't screw up anything. If you get an error at any stage, just delete the whole dir/dirs created by installer, and your system is back to its original state.