['Driva '06] [x86_64] 32bit libraries

Guest Random Destruction

Guest Random Destruction

Hey everyone.

I posted this same question to mandrivaexpert, but they dont seem to have much movement over there ;)

Im sure this isnt a 2006 only problem. When trying to install some software (wine/cedega for example) I run into required (32 bit) X libraries (such as libX11.so.6) that I dont have. I urpmqd for 32bit xorg libs, but found nothing. Googled. nothing.

Whats a guy to do?

Thanks,

Ian

[moved from Software by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

edit: Sorry for having this in software, but I figured that was the place, as the issue isn't cooker-specific.

Edited by Random Destruction

Random Destruction,

It depends on what kind of software you would like to run. I managed to install and run some 32-bit apps with the following procedure:

(you are supposed to be root)

(1) Setup an i586 media in urpmi, with some prefix, say, 586- (Use easyurpmi.zarb.org site for that if you wish)

(2) Find out which packages you need that contain the missing 32-bit libraries:

urpmf <missing_lib_name_from error message> --media <list of the setup 586 media>

This wil give you the list of packages that contain the library you want, like (imagine you are missing missinglib.so.6 library), using the media for i586 architecture:

[opex@kokoc ~]# urpmf missinglib.so.6 --media 586-main,586-contrib,586-update
mislibpkg6:/usr/lib/missinglib.so.6
mislibpkg6:/usr/lib64/missinglib.so.6

This tells you which package(s) to install to obtain the needed library in /usr/lib/ , namely, the package mislibpkg6. Install it using urpmi or graphic interface in MCC.

I prefer to delete the i586 install media afterwards, otherwise you have to exclude it every time you install new software:

urpmi <pakage> --excludemedia 586main,586contrib, etc

Make sure you don't install from 586 media what you need in 64-bit, it won't work ... may not work properly.

This is a tedious process if you have meny libs missing, though. Hope this helps, otherwise wait until someone experience wakes up (I am in no way an experienced user). Please see the urpmi related help in this board, if you are not familiar with urpmi.

Update:

I would like to note, that this method is usefull for installing some missing libraries. You cannot install a whole 32-bit system like that. Make sure that you don't overwrite installed sofware.

Edited by uralmasha

Guest Random Destruction

Excellent.. thanks man. I'll try it as soon as I can stop studying for these midterms ;)

I thought of that, but was afraid of breaking things.. so basically, if I add the 32bit media, everything wont overwrite eachother? I guess they are told to install to /lib instead of /lib64... nice

Thanks again,

Ian

(still looking for a cleaner answer if one exists)