Hard drive size [solved]

disco_lad

I am trying to be a new user. I was wondering what is the minimum hard drive size I can have to install and run Mandrake?

I have a 1.6 hardrive and was wondering if I don't have enough space that I could find a linux that can run in a GUI interface.

I am the same person who has been writing about Pentium I topic in the Instalation section.

[moved from Hardware by arctic]

The minimum is rather low, but then you wouldn't have a GUI. In order to have a running GUI, you should have at least some 900 MB afaik. Most of this space is actually taken up by the software, not the window manager you can use, so a careful selection of applications can reduce the 900MB size even more. And: this is only true if you decide not to install KDE or Gnome but using e.g. ROX or Windowmaker or Icewm or Fluxbox as Windowmanager. If you want to do a relative normal installation with KDE or GNOME, you need some 1.5 GB of space.

With only 1.6 GB of space on the hdd, I suggest you take a very, very good look at the applications you want to install. Install only the stuff that you REALLY need. Otherwise you will run out of space very soon.