Lilo changed to Grub [solved]

philip101a

Finally took plunge and upgraded from 10.1CE to LE2005 on my Dell GSX270 P4 2.4 which was dual booted with Win98ME. On reboot at finish I get usual opening but instead of the usual splash screen giving me the options of Linux - smp et et + Windows I get a blank screen with GRUB and a flashing cursor. Have tried inumerable combinations of keys with no success. Fortunately have my old Compag5100 Dual Processor still in commission so have been able to search fora plus google but no enlightenment there.

Any advice - suggestions gratefully received.

Phil I .

When you used 10.1 CE, were you using lilo or grub with that?

What might be worthwhile doing is booting from your LE2005 CD/DVD, and then pressing F1, and there will be some options for rescuing the boot loader.

Yes Ian have always used Lilo before with 9.2 and 10.1. Later in the day I did take bull by horns and power down - fed GX270 with Disk 1 of LE2005 and went for upgrade. Came out the other side with nice boot splash followed by leering Penguin. After that I went to bed. In retrospect I think I may have been lulled by the ease of installation of Le2005 and may have missed an instruction somewhere along the way . Lost a few passwords on the web in the shuffle but no real problems emerged up to now. Many thanks for your suggestion.

Phil I