advice on tux friendly mp3 players

Guest Keyser

Guest Keyser

im looking into buying an mp3 player, but having some trouble deciding what to go for. i have search a few different linux forums and found quite a few discussions on the subject but also quite a bit of conflicitng accounts on mp3 players.

heres what i really want:

-plays mp3s with no conversion, and ogg (altho ogg isnt a necessity)

-can act like a usb thumb stick, basically plug in then drag and drop files into it

-inexpensive (under 200 dollars)

-flash storage, not hd

i have been looking at ipod shuffles. i understand that they have a built in battery, and (after being plugged into windows at least once) use FAT file system so that linux can read/write them just fine, also that they play mp3s without having to convert them. correct?

if they use a FAT file system and play mp3s can i simply drag and drop mp3s into them without using gtkpod?

im also looking at creative zen nano. has anyone owned one of these and can testify to (or against) thier quailty and ease of use?

:edit: the IRiver 1GB is really catching my attention. anyone had any experience with one of these on linux?

also good experiences with any other mp3 players are welcome.

Edited by Keyser

You can't drag and drop into an ipod you do have to use something like gtkpod or itunes via wine(I believe this works although I've never tried it myself...)

Having said that, ipods work really well with Linux if you don't mind using gtkpod.

Any MP3 player that you can drag and drop into in windows and has a fat filesystem, you will be able to mount it in linux and drag and drop into it.

Guest Keyser

thanks for the info. it looks like the creative zen can simiply be mounted and accesed easliy, so im going to check out what people think of the audio quality and overall quality of the product. if its not up to snuff by many accounts then ill go with the ipod shuffle.

The IRiver 1GB is really catching my attention. anyone had any experience with one of these on linux?

Is that the new T30? I came across that today and it looks rather tempting. Don't know about its Linux-friendliness, though.

OT: For in-car use, I'm also looking at the Yakumo Hypersound Car - MP3+WMA+OGG on CD, MMC or USB key for £70 http://www.yakumo.com/produkte/index.php?pid=1&ag=Autoradio. (The OGG support is only detailed in the PDF manual.)