installing updates

Trio3b

Sorry about the n00b questions, but....

Have MDV 2005LE PC. used MCC>updates OK

Have two MDK 10.0 PCs. Went to MCC>updates:

error message - could not find suitable mirrors due to processor architcture not supported. This was message even tho one PC has Plll coppermine like the 2005LE PC. So I assume it has to do with MDK 10

Anyway.......googled and found easy urpmi and followed instructions and here is console output:

[root@localhost ****]# urpmi.addmedia main ftp://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrakelinux.../Mandrake/RPMS/ with../base/hdlist.cz

added medium main

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

examining synthesis file [/var/lib/urpmi/synthesis.hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz]

computing md5sum of existing source hdlist (or synthesis)

retrieving source hdlist (or synthesis) of "main"...

ftp://mandrake.contactel.cz/Mandrakelinux.../base/hdlist.cz

found probed hdlist (or synthesis) as ../base/hdlist.cz

...retrieving done

examining hdlist file [/var/cache/urpmi/partial/hdlist.main.cz]

examining pubkey file of "main"...

...imported key 70771ff3 from pubkey file of "main"

performing second pass to compute dependencies

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1).cz]

built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 1 (x86) (cdrom1)"

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2).cz]

built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 2 (x86) (cdrom2)"

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3).cz]

built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 3 (x86) (cdrom3)"

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4).cz]

built hdlist synthesis file for medium "Installation CD 4 (x86) (cdrom4)"

examining hdlist file [/var/lib/urpmi/hdlist.main.cz]

built hdlist synthesis file for medium "main"

found 0 headers in cache

removing 0 obsolete headers in cache

write config file [/etc/urpmi/urpmi.cfg]

....and that was it. So did this update anything?

Next day stumbled across Mandrivaonline site and followed procedure . This time update DOES work from within MCC>updates, so downloaded and installed bugfixes and normal updates and received "packages installed OK" message.

So questions are:

1. Did easy urpmi do anything?

2. Did I do any damage by doing update from two different methods?

3. Were these updates stored on my HD and where are they, or is there a way to do so in order to burn them to disk so I can have them for future use? I have heard Mandriva is not going to support 10.0 anymore.

Thanks for any help.

Yes it did something, but not quite what you were expecting. The commands you got from Easy-Urpmi did two things. One, it set up a list of respository locations from which to download updates and new software. Two, it downloaded the catalogues from those sites.

To update your system using the command line you need to run the command urpmi --auto-select Before you do that, you usually want to make sure your catalogues are up-to-date since urpmi uses them to determine what needs updating, so the usual command sequence is:

urpmi.updatemedia -a
urpmi --auto-select

This is essentially what running a software update from the MCC gui does for you, so you didn' t do any damage to your system by using two methods: they are really the same.

By default the update packages are not stored permanently on your system, they are deleted once they have been successfully installed. The latest updates are always available from the web so there is usually little reason to keep the downloads. If you want to keep the update packages, you would use the --noclean option with urpmi. The files are saved in the directory /var/cache/urpmi/rpms

Edited by Kjel Oslund

You obviously set up easy urpmi OK.

I can tell by the references to the cdroms that you did not deselect the cdroms in MCCs........Select from where software packages are downloaded when updating the system.

With these left selected, urpmi only looks for updates for the cdroms and of course there aren't any for the cdroms. Weird ???. Sure.

I would recommend going there again and deselecting the Cdroms and make sure there is a tick in each of the Main, Contrib and PLF-free (and possibly Update if it is listed also). Then press the update tab located on the right side.

This will do a refresh from the sites you have ticked. It will take some time even with ADSL. When it has completed and still in MCC go to Look at installable software and install software packages and select .........All packages, by update availability.

You will then have two groups..... Addable and also .......Upgradeable

Select what you want and install.

Cheers. John.

Thanks for the tips guys, am slowly figuring this out although in my defense have to say some procedures are not intuitive for me........maybe for others.

Forgot to add.......I cannot find Koffice anywhere. Not in rpmdrake addpackages or even if I look manually on the discs. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks