How to Fsck a crashed system

Guest bolanski

Guest bolanski

Hi!

I have done something bad and now I have unfixable file errors or something like that. Im kinda new to this so I could need som help

I get a message after the file integrity check that I should run fsck manually (ie whitout the -a and -p options). And the bootup stops there.

So i try to run fsck and it asks for a device so i try the /dev/hda or the /home ore anything else but all I get is some message about unfixable errors and so on.

I think the reason for my file error in the first place was that my disk ran out of space I was dloading som crap and it got full.

The file check says something about a file in /tmp/orbit-andreas/ called orb-7117blablabla... is 6 should have been 4

So what do I do now? I dont know the syntax for a proper fsck and i cant do unlink on files i know is big and could be removed

How do I force a full file check and error fix if possible in a shell/terminal enviroment?

Plz write full syntax so I have a fair chance of sucsess...

fsck -what? /what?

I can get back whit a full description on the error I recive if needed.

/andy

Guest bolanski

Im not totaly new to this and I have tried man fsck and man unlink and --help and such but I cant get the syntax working or mabey its just a non fixable error.

This is what i get:

Cheking root filesystem [failed]

/:

Entry 'orb-17710810861591422061' in (tmp/orbit-andreas (1324918) has an incorrect filetype (was 6 should be 4).

/: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.

(ie., whitout -a or -p options)

An error occurred during the file system check

Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot

when you leave the shell.

Give root password for maintenace

(or type Control-D for normal startup)

So I write in my root password...

And then I get:

(Repair filesystem) 1 #

So i write fsck /home for a try and get this:

fsck.ext2: Is a directory while trying to open /home

The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you migth try running e2fsck an alternate superblock:

e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Well I dont get much of that and Im not to good at the linux filesystem and partitions. So what is this and what should I really do? and cant I just unlink (delete) the bad file? (I cant get it unlinked cause its read only is the answer I get when trying)

I need to see the whole syntax if you try to help Im usally a gui user.

/andy