Is smart the best package solution?

guppetto

Is SMART the software Manager Mandriva should implement?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Is SMART the software Manager Mandriva should implement?

• Yes, it's a great piece of software!
    • No, URPMI was progressing quite nicely and I prefer it!
    • Yes, but the interface needs a major make over!
    • No, give users an entirely new approach to software installation

We all know that SMART and Urpmi will become one in Mandriva's next Major Release after 2006. I've used both and while i still prefer URPMI, I do use SMART for incremental updating. URPMI currently gives me all the ability that I currently need to manage the software on my system, but I know my oppinion is based 90% on the fact that I know URPM inside and out, and I'm only now beginning to discover the power of SMART. All my opinions aside though, how does everyone feel about the switch to SMART. I think smarts interface needs some tweeking personally, but what do you think about Mandrivas upcomming switch.

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

IMHO, smart is a very good piece of software but it still needs some polishing (e.g. in the GUI approach). Smart is basically faster than urpmi for setting up repositories (it is almost as fast as apt-get) and has this great "multi-repository-ability" but urpmi has more command options right now. So I expect that there will be more added to smart in this area later.

I use smart already on my Yoper development distro and it works very well. I had no problems whatsoever with it.