Those piece of &%¤?# ATI Drivers [solved]

TheCrizu

I´m having problem with configuring ATI proprietary drivers.I downloaded and installed the latest drivers from their site,did everything by the book.When i restarded my computer screen looked like quite awful,gamma settings were...off the scale or something.screen was so bright,that hardly anything could be seen.I´ve tried 4 hours to configure that "xorg.conf"file with fglrxconfig,and manually,no matter what i did,problem remains.and almost every time,when i did some changes to that file,no matter what,system would not even start,but instead there were screen full of error messages.finally i put that old xorg.conf file back,and everything works,except openGL,it looks like my old C64 is trying to run it(Slow).It´s,i suppose,because there is that new driver now.

So,do i have to configure xorg.conf manually completely?

I´m running mandriva 2005LE.Computer: P4 GigaByte 8IPE100-ProG 512MB Radeon 9200.

TheCrizu

PS.I needed those proprietary drivers because of tv-out.

PPS. I had done this whole thing before,six months ago,same mandriva,same harware,no problems,but that proprietary driver,this was newer version.I switched back to windoze,after that,but now i´m back to linux,to stay this time :D

Why don't you install the latest kernel AND its matching kernel-source then reinstall the driver. Since it is the latest driver, it could also be looking for a newer kernel as well. Just make certain that the kernel and kernel-source packages have EXACTLY the same version number. I am not familiar with ATI drivers, only nvidia ones, but I suspect that both makes work on similar principles.

Cheers. John.

Why don't you install the latest kernel AND its matching  kernel-source then reinstall the driver. Since it is the latest driver, it could also be looking for a newer kernel as well. Just make certain that the kernel and kernel-source packages have EXACTLY the same version number. I am not familiar with ATI drivers, only nvidia ones, but I suspect that both makes work on similar principles.

yes,i´m going to try that.How do i check which kernel version i´m having now? I can´t see it on RPM manager/installed sofware?

Yes,I now managed to do it.installed latest kernel,and exactly the same source,everything working fine,installed ATI again,not working,same thing that was int the first time.

I´ve checked couple of HOWTO´s in linuxquestion forum,that addressed this issue(mandriva+ATI).everything is done accordingly.I´m now again using that original "Xorg.conf". When i launch "fglrxinfo" now,using old conf file,its like this:

display: :0.0 screen: 0

OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect

OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.2.1)

However,when i use that new,barely working conf file,everything looks ok,there is "ATI"

on those lines,when running "fglrxinfo". When launching "glxgears", with old file,FPS: 320.000 , and with new file 2300.000. It should be greater?And with new file,openGL applications crashes.

Getting back to read HOWTO´s.....

TheCrizu

I have made few extra checks after reading everything they had about this driver in ATI´s site. Drivers install log looks like this:

[Message] Kernel Module : Trying to install a precompiled kernel module.

[Message] Kernel Module : Precompiled kernel module version mismatched.

[Message] Kernel Module : Found kernel module build environment, generating kernel module now.

ATI module generator V 2.0

==========================

initializing...

cleaning...

patching 'highmem.h'...

assuming new VMA API since we do have kernel 2.6.x...

doing Makefile based build for kernel 2.6.x and higher

make -C /lib/modules/2.6.11-12mdk/build SUBDIRS=/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x modules

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-12mdk'

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agp3.o

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/nvidia-agp.o

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.o

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c: In function `__fgl_agp_init':

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c:8166: warning: `pm_register' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pm.h:106)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c: In function `__fgl_agp_cleanup':

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c:8176: warning: `pm_unregister_all' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/pm.h:116)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c: At top level:

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/agpgart_be.c:6070: warning: 'ati_gart_base' defined but not used

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/i7505-agp.o

CC [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.o

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_putminor':

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:498: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:578)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:500: warning: `inter_module_unregister' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:574)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: In function `firegl_stub_register':

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:520: warning: `inter_module_register' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:573)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:551: warning: `inter_module_put' is deprecated (declared at include/linux/module.h:578)

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c: At top level:

/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/firegl_public.c:1921: warning: 'deferred_flush' defined but not used

LD [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.o

Building modules, stage 2.

MODPOST

CC /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.mod.o

LD [M] /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/2.6.x/fglrx.ko

make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.11-12mdk'

build succeeded with return value 0

duplicating results into driver repository...

done.

==============================

- creating symlink

- recreating module dependency list

- trying a sample load of the kernel module

failed.

[Error] Kernel Module : Failed to install compiled kernel module - please consult readme.

-There seem to be some errors,i did not found that readme.

TheCrizu

When launching "glxgears", with old file,FPS: 320.000 , and with new file 2300.000. It should be greater?And with new file,openGL applications crashes.

depends on your HW, 2300 FPS is not that bad. What apps did you try? glxgears works for me, but when I run the ATI version of glxgears, fire_glxgears or something, the box hangs as soon as I move the mouse. Tuxracer runs fine.

depends on your HW, 2300 FPS is not that bad. What apps did you try? glxgears works for me, but when I run the ATI version of glxgears, fire_glxgears or something, the box hangs as soon as I move the mouse. Tuxracer runs fine.

that application is Celestia astronomical software.And,as i in my first post mentioned,those other problems are still there,no matter what i do.I hope there is some Guru out there who can say something about that ATI install log.Or tell me how can i get back where i started,without installing system again.Using that original,"working" xorg.conf,openGL is not what it was,before i tried to upgrade drivers.

Did you try Xorg's radeon driver for ATI cards? I havent used it for a long time but I req that its 3d support improved greatly (or was it XFree86?)

Now,i was able to get that standard driver back,it is running something like 1200.000 fps,which i think,is just fine.openGL apps are working now. I have understood,that there is these problems with all other distros too,so i will wait until ATI is going to release some decent drivers.

TheCrizu

Reality is for those who cannot face the science fiction.