Installing Mandriva 10.0

Guest Heero

I had just formatted my hard drive using a bootable Mandrake 10.0. Everything went fine and I manage to finish the installation until it prompted me to reboot. After that I was on the boot loader screen where I get to choose between "Linux", "Fail Safe", and "267-17" (err not sure about the last one) So I chose Linux and then it runs a BIOS checkup. after that I would stuck up there with lotsa codes and I get a message like "Kernel Panic: attempting to kill init" or something like "can't sync" whatever.....

Sorry. this is my first time using Linux. I really don't know anything. :help:

Sorry for the late reply.

By the way, here are my hardwares:

Motherboard:ASRock P4i45GV

Proc: Intel Celeron 2.4 GHZ

Video: NVIDIA Geforce MX 4000 AGP8x 64MB 32bit

Sound: 5.1 channels AC'97 Audio

HardDrive:Western Digital 40GB 5400 RPM

Yeah I had also tried booting failsafe but I still arrive with the same result as booting with linux.

I get a login prompt when I press Esc key before choosing a bootloader.

I think it has something to do with my plug and play configuration in my BIOS but I can't seem to find it.

Edited by Heero

Ouch. Well, if you're completely new to Linux, may I recommend an excellent starter book, Test Driving Linux by David Brickner.

From Amazon.com (USA):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

or Amazon.co.uk (UK)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0...3818782-0352637

It uses a "Live CD" version of Mandrake 10.0, so it's a good intro in more than one way!

Edited by richfly

Sounds like you might have to do a new installation again. I had these kernel panics or something a bit worse because I didn't do an upgrade right.

Or, if you can post exactly what the error message is, we might be able to find some more information for things for you to try.

I would go with ianw on this one. It does seem that the install is faulty and since you are new to all this, starting again will be much simpler. If it happens again then it means that one or all off your CDROMs may be faulty.

If you downloaded and burnt them yourself then redownload again and do a checksum to verify that each of the downloads is okay and when you burn the ISOs to disc then do it at the slowest burn speed posssible.

If the discs are from a magazine then they could be faulty as a lot of posters have shown lately.

Cheers and a hearty warm welcome to MUB. John.