10.2 stopped recognizing sound card driver

Guest lironbot

Guest lironbot

Hi there good forum people!

I'm going to try and be as descriptive as possible, unfortunately hardware isn't my expertise and I'me a non-technical desktop user.

As of yesterday, my sound card was working wonderfully. Before going to bed, I shut the computer down normally, no error messages, and all was well. Today, however, when I returned from the office, I retired for a quick game of briquolo when I notice that no sound was coming out of the speakers. I quit the game and fired up amarok, and sure enough, no sound. Checked the cables, nothing. And then I noticed that amarok was unable to play any of my files - the progress bar for tracks was not moving and the visualizations weren't operating. This is when I began to become suspicious.

I fired up alsa-mixer and kmix to make sure everything was full volume. check. I fired up beep media player and it was only able to play the first second of each of my tracks, on repeat. Hitting "stop" didn't halt the infernal noise and I had to kill the sound server. Audacity claimed I had no i/o device, and when I went into harddrake to investigate further, I found that in the properties for my soundcard (which was recognized, at least) it had this entry: "Media class: ‎NOT_DEFINED". Clicking the "run config tool" button resulted in an error message: "Error: the "snd-hda-intel" driver for your sound card is unlisted".

I ran a google search on the error, it retrieved a bugzilla entry for LE2005 which was said to be resolved. Running a search on the forum, I found a case where someone was having a similar problem from the get-go (unlike me) and it was advised to him to either recompile his kernel (yikes!) or upgrade to LE2005 in which the issue is supposed to be resolved.

I get no startup errors, and I know that no one has been using this machine during the time I was at work today. Could the driver get borked all by itself? It was working perfectly 24 hours beforehand.

I have an ABIT motherboard with an Intel soundcard which has a Realtek ALC882 chip (according to alsamixer), my OS is completely up to date with all the latest bug fixes.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Liron

lironbot.com

Edited by lironbot

Guest lironbot

Hmmm, I'm not sure which version it is exactly which I'm running, it's the stock kernel which comes with the standard installation of LE2005. When I get home I'll check to see which version I have precisely.

As I mentioned before, the sound card is detected and harddrake files it properly under "sound card". The only "bad" entry I get under there is "Media class: ‎NOT_DEFINED".

Here's the link to the bug: http://qa.mandriva.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16944

Thanks a bunch for the help! :lol:

Liron

Guest lironbot

I've got an interesting update to this situation.

After I ran out of ideas, I decided to try and reinstall LE2005. When the system, booted up, I had sound.

I went ahead and installed my applications, but after I installed the latest NVIDIA drivers for my GFX card, again I had no sound output to the card. This corresponds to my post up top the page - when I played Briquolo, it was right after installing the NVIDIA drivers. Uninstalling the drivers returns sound to the system. I've made sure to download the correct driver for my architecture, I've even tried to downgrade the driver to several versions below - to no avail. The situation is, right now, that if I'd like to listen to music I have to instruct X to use the stock "nv" driver, and if I'd like to work with Blender or OpenGL, I have to instruct X to use the "nvidia' driver. Needless to say, something horribly fishy is going on.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be affecting my sound card, and how to fix this situation?

Thanks in Advance,

Liron

I guess since you are using the latest nvidia driver, have you tried using an earlier version of the nvidia driver which I know are always available on the nvidia website.

It maybe the nvidia driver itself has the bug. I am currently using v7676 and have no troubles and have used earlier drivers again with no troubles but I am using possibly a different video card to yours. Mine is a GeForce FX 5200 AGP SSE 3DNOW.

Cheers. John.

Sorry we forgot to welcome you to MUB. A hearty welcome to you. JB.

Edited by AussieJohn