devfsd instead of udev!

Jza

Whenever I boot I get this lines, I dont understand them well what it all means. But I guess I'll rather ask you guys and get a clear knowledge of what it's going on. I know that devfsd and udev has are layers to identify devices. I think udev is newer than devfsd, however I don't know which is better and what will be different on my system.

Finally I wonder if I have udev how can I use it or configure it if its necesary.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman]

udev hs superseded devfsd both handle devices under Linux whereas devfsd used preset device names under /dev udev actually creates these dynamically based on rules contained in the files under /etc/udev/rules.d/. if you havee a look you will see a number of rules files named in a similar fashion to the int scripts in your rc directories, these are run in the same way (i.e. in order of name) at start up a device is set up according to thefirst rule it finds that matches. You can create your own rules (usually called 00-something to ensure it is checked first. udev utilises hotplug scripts to carry out actions associated with types of devices all trhis is speified within the rules file(s).

the udev man file is useful for an overview and there are a number of good websites that cover setting up udev rules (asusual google is your friend) although this may help as a starter

Leo

That would help to explain why the scanner is not activated although detected. Sane is not yet directing activation to the scanner although it has detected it.

I have installed the latest Sane back and front ends and it is not in there yet.

Maybe soon perhaps.

Cheers. John.