Upgrade and Login problem

Guest mls64

I recently upgraded from 10.0 to 2006 beta 4, and am having a problem. I can only log in as root and get KDE to run. If I login as a user, the screen goes black, and it kicks back to the login screen again.

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman - welcome aboard :)]

Upgrading gives all kinds of problems. Better do a clean reinstall (wihout formatting your /home) and try again.

OK that worked, sort of. It accepts user logins. I had a bunch of permission issues with folders and figured out how to change folder/file permissions via chown -R. Only issue at first glance is figuring out how to point KMail to my old mail folders from the prior install. I don't see a method of doing this (specifying the storage folder) or importing KMail messages.

Also now need to reinstall all the packages that I had with the prior install as well.

Thanks for the help.

Mike

If you were using 10.0 then your mail was (if I remember correctly) in /.mail. Now it is currently in /.kde/share/apps/kmail/mail ( if you cannot find it there then open the application called Find Files by typing in mail and setting Look in to / to find where it is).

You need to open a console and type in kdesu konqueror, press Enter then type in your root password and press Enter again. This open Konqueror in root mode. Close the console. In Konqueror go looking for /.mail and when you find it right click and select copy then go to /.kde/share/apps/kmail and right click in a clear area of kmail and select paste. It will ask whether to override so click Yes. This will write all your sent as well as received emails into the new Kmail. Log out then back in and reopen kmail and you should see all your earlier mail. If it is now in the OK you can go back to the original mail folder and delete it if you wish or transfer it to another safe spot as a backup.

Hope this helps you. John.

Edited by AussieJohn