Updates and architecture number

johnz

Well, have had Mandriva LE2005 installed now for almost a week. The only real problem was getting my USB modem (sagem f@st-800) up and running, but that is sorted now.

The machine is a i686 running Mandriva that i downloaded from here http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=29

the top 3 i586 cd's

will this cause any problems?

just ran my first update utility from the Mandrake Control Centre, and now have the option to update!

i have installed all the bug fixes, there was maybe a couple of dozen of those but now im need your advise about the Security updates, there is security updates availible but they amount to a massive 600MB- in all

do these all need to be installed?

imput appreciated

[moved from Installing Mandriva by spinynorman

Why not do them a few at a time. Select firstly the ones that apply to applications that you use regularly. Since you seem to be using dialup it is not quite so urgent as if you were using ADSL and therefore connected to the net fulltime.

Although I am using ADSL, I tend to disconnect the etho link when I am not using the net to provide greater security but I also download ALL security fixes but this is not a difficulty with ADSL anyway. Keep in mind also that these updates have accumulated since the OS was first released, so once you catch up then there will just be a trickle from there on.

Cheers. John.

You only really need the Kernel-Source if you are going to do a Kernel compile or if you are using Nvidia drivers directly from nvidia.

Therefore when you decide to upgrade your Kernel then you need to install its matching Kernel-Source as well. I am not 100% certain but I do not think changing the Kernel effects rpm package installations at all. I keep updating Kernels and Kernel-Sources and have NEVER had problems with existing packages or newly installed ones. In Windows an installed package can screw up Windows, but in Linux it can't (unless something wilful or particularly stupid is done).

Cheers. John.