How do I connect 2 laptops to share drives & files?

Guest johnKFT

Guest johnKFT

I have just bought a cheap second laptop and want to connect it to my existing one so I can access all the programs and disk drives on each from the other. The idea is for one to be a backup for the other (hardware and software) and vice versa, as I intend using them on a boat which could be thousands of miles from the nearest computer store when one of them breaks down. Both are Dell Inspiron 7500. I have a chance to buy at the same time a RealPort Cardbus communications card 56k modem+Ethernet 10/100 which fits the machine, and I have a vague idea I might need this. Can anyone help me urgently please as I need to decide sharpish and have no understanding of what is involved, despite searching these boards.

Set up the networking so that they have the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0) and then give one an IP address of 1.1.1.1, and the other 1.1.1.2. You might need to set the gateway as well, but it shouldn't matter what you set it to, since this is your own network, with no internet.

Also, you'll need a hub, or a crossover cat 5 cable. You can buy either of them at Best Buy (do they have Best Buy in Scotland?) or you can wire the crossover cable yourself.

I'm no network expert, but I think that's all there is to it.

Guest johnKFT

Thanks for that. I think I am a little bit wiser than I was last night. Would you be kind enough to correct me if my assumptions are wrong:

My current machine is connected to a 4 port usb hub from which are leads to printer, scanner and webcam. Do I connect the new machine into this hub with an ordinary usb cable having the same fitting both ends?

If so, what then happens? Will both machines automatically access the printer, scanner and webcam? How do I access files and drives on one machine from the other? Do I have to somehow mount each drive onto the file system of the other machine, whereupon they will simply show up as extra devices - sort of like /dev/usb/otherharddrive? How do I do that?

I looked through Linuxconf to figure out this networking business, along with various other sources, but it was all way over my head. From what you say it sounds quite simple and I'm sure all these explanations I struggle with are for more complex setups than mine. Be most grateful if you could explain very simply.

John

Technicly you can't buy USB cables with the same ends. This is in order to keep things safe. But you should be able to find a usb transfer cable that will do what you want. I hate to promote any particular buisiness but tigerdirect.com sells BaFo Data Transfer USB Cables with two male ends that should do the job for you. Just looked them up and they are 20 bucks.US.

Guest johnKFT

Yes, thanks for that. I found the same thing at a UK store, but it comes with Windows software to detect everything and provide a file transfer manager. Presumably I can do the same thing myself in Linux - or could if I was more knowledgeable. Can anyone tell me what exactly I should do? I have 8.2 on this machine (dual boot with Win98SE) and will put 9.0 on the other (which already has WinXP). I have no desire or need for either of the Windows, apart from perhaps occasional testing or games. Will Mandrake Control Centre set it all up for me? Are there any dangers involved in connecting like this?

John

The OS will try to autodetect and set up everything for you as soon as you plug in the USB cable. But to say that this will work automatically is probably a little naive... in most cases things work, but off brand devices, or very new devices, often will not work.

You may have to do a little research online, and install some drivers. In many cases, updating an application to the most recent version is the solution (SANE is a good example)

Also, an easy thing to try first is to use RPM-Drake to search for packages related to your device that may not be installed. Thats how I got my TV Tuner card working... (Yea!)

Hope this helps, and your not out on the boat already!

Guest johnKFT

Thanks folks, I think I am beginning to get the picture now. Sorry if I seem a bit dim, but I've invested too much time and heartache into my Linux system to risk screwing it by shoving the wrong cable into the wrong hole!

Let me recap:

1 I can switch on both machines, then connect box 2 with usb data cable (male plug each end) to the usb hub that is connected to box 1, just as though it were another printer or whatever.

2 I then go into HardDrake in box 1 and get it (or help it) to recognise the hdd and the cd-rw on box 2, thus giving me access to them as though they were on box 1 (albeit at /dev/usb/whatever).

3 I then go into Harddrake in box 2 and do the same for the hdd on box 1 and also the printer, scanner and webcam connected to the usb hub.

4 And some or all of it may then work, but nothing will blow up?

John