running slow any tips

Guest richard_haggath

Guest richard_haggath

i just installed mandrake 9.0 it's great and my first time with linux.

problem is it takes an age to load any programs up. even simple games take an age to load from the amusement section.

i have a 1.8GHz athlon

256Mb 333Mhz ddr ram

10 gigs of hard drive space

dual booting with win xp home.

i did notice that linux is installed in this partition with no linux swap partition is this normal??

help

once the program loads to memory it's lightning fast and no compatibility problems

Guest richard_haggath

i ran partition magic 7 pro from my xp install. and it shows my xp partition and a linux ext2 partition but no linux swap.

i have tried a long time ago with mdk 7 and remember the swap file but there is not one here.

can a swap file be made or will i have to reinstall (which i don't mind cos i reckon it'll teach me a bit more about he system watching it again) :wink:

Open the Mandrake Control Center and go to Mount Points>Hard Drives, and see if diskdrake shows a swap. You could also look at /etc/fstab, or type free in a terminal;

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ free

total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached

Mem:        190972     171312      19660          0      23432      57520

-/+ buffers/cache:      90360     100612

Swap:       401584      20676     380908

I have PM7 (not pro) and it use to show a Linux Swap when I had ext2fs, but since switching to reiserfs it doesn't....now it shows all as ext2.

Guest richard_haggath

thanks a lot will try it and post back if it is successful.

i am pretty good when it comes to windows but linux is so new it's like the first time i ever switched a computer on. :oops:

Guest richard_haggath

:D fixed it i re installed in expert mode setting the partitions manually and guess what it's sorted. i definetely had no swap file before but have now. everything runs so much quicker and look forward to messing with it somewhat. :P