Paging Dr. Cyberjackle, Paging Dr. Cyberjackle...

Well, I must say, I am impressed with FC3 on a new Fujitsu laptop. Suse was too unruly, and the number of packages in the FC dvd is a little mind boggling. Almost as much as a Mandriva release.... :P Everything runs smooth except....sound. Again. Memories of my first distro, RH 9, so I went and tried everything I could think of. Finally got sound on the RH 9...

Checked to make sure Kmix and Alsamixer are unmuted (does EVERYTHING have to be unmuted?), tried alsaconf and was told there was no file or directory with that name (?!) and running artswrapper gives me a message about already running in realtime priority then prints out a list of four or five broken pipes (?!?!). Volume, gui, command line, dmesg....still cant track down the problem. It recognizes a card.

What am I missing? I had sound as soon as I installed it on my desktop PC and opened up the mixer settings. There, my soon to be replaced monitor made an ugly FC home. Now with everything looking great, I'm surprised the sound is so elusive to pin down.

Again.

Sigh....the FC forum answers haven't turned up sound answers either (yet) .... BTW, which is the best and most up to date how to site for FC specifically?

When I checked the dvd, there were two packages listed, alsa and alsa utilities, which seem to be installed. (?!) I have other alsa packages that didnt come with the distribution but Im wary of installing some alsa packages from an old magazine cd. Is there another name I should be checking for alsaconf ?

BTW, the response time in this room never ceases to amaze me. :D And from penguins who dance non stop at that.....

Sorry, I was out of town :)

so you know some yum commands to use:

yum list alsa*
<snip>
Installed Packages
alsa-lib.i386                            1.0.9rf-2.FC4          installed
alsa-lib-devel.i386                      1.0.9rf-2.FC4          installed
alsa-utils.i386                          1.0.9rf-2.FC4          installed
Available Packages
alsa-lib-debuginfo.i386                  1.0.9rf-2.FC4          updates-released
alsa-tools.i386                          1.0.9-1.fc4            extras
alsa-utils-debuginfo.i386                1.0.9rf-2.FC4          updates-released

or

yum provides alsaconf
<snip>
alsa-utils

However you might not have to go through installing that to get it to work. What kind of sound card is it and the model # of your laptop.

lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

Also, since it is a fresh install, is there a reason that you went with fc3 instead of fc4, just curious?

What kind of sound card is it and the model # of your laptop.

lspci -v | grep -i audio
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)

Also, since it is a fresh install, is there a reason that you went with fc3 instead of fc4, just curious?

I had it on DVD with a big tome sized Fedora Tutorial (Sam's Unleashed) and given a bit of griping from users - as is usual with a new release - I thought I would see where FC4 was going before jumping onboard. I dont have the other info in front of me at the moment, but the laptops a fujitsu siemens pro amilo v2010 with an integrated sound card. The name Tek sounds close, will check though. Whats strange is that on Suse and FC with this laptop, I can apparently trigger an alarm sound?! which I cant stop unless I mute some volume switches or shut down.....