ADSL internet [solved]

Guest chris b

Guest chris b

I have a second hard disk on which i have installed LE2005. The internet connection works in Home XP, but not with Mandriva. I just don't know how to set it up. I have a NetComm NB5Plus4W modem router. It is connected to the pc by an ethernet cable into a network card, which Mandriva can see. I'm not sure if i should use the ADSL connection, which i cant seem to make work, or the lan connection, which i also cant seem to get to work. What is the first step here??

Welcome aboard. :)

ethernet -------modem/router-combo ------- internet

Create a LAN connection as the adsl stuff will be handled by the modem/router combo (I guess. Most do). Then activate your network card if it ain't activated already (in a terminal as root: ifup eth0). If you do not see any webpages displayed in your browser, you might need to disable ipv6. Check first by pingingwebsites from a terminal. (as root, type e.g. ping www.google.com. Stop it with ctrl+c). If you get a positive result, do a forum search for disabling ipv6. If you need more help, just ask.

When you ask for more help, please post the output of the following files:

/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth0

and the output of the following terminal commands:

ifconfig

ifup eth0

PS: Go to the MCC and disable your firewall while trying to set up the connection and set your system security level from "high" to "normal" (you might need to enable the "expert options" from the top menu in the MCC)

Good luck ;)

Open MCC and select Network & Internet then select New Network Interface which will take you to New Connection. Do NOT select ADSL, make certain you select LAN. This is where a lot of newbies make their mistake. They think that because they are using an ADSL router that they need to select ADSL, and this is not correct.

From there on just follow the ongoing procedure and when you are finished, you should be connected to the Internet and running.

There is only a real need to set Pop & IMAP Server and also FTP in your firewall settings because it is not necessary to select (no firewall) setting nor is it advisable to.

Cheers. John.