snd-emu10k1-synth not loaded in cooker

Kjel Oslund

In previous releases of MDK/MDV the snd-eum10k1-synth module was automatically loaded when snd-emu10k1 was loaded (soundblaster/audigy alsa driver). This is no longer happening in MDV2006 beta (running cooker).

I can load the module manually using modprobe and it works, but I do get a modprobe error when modprobe tries to reload snd-emu10k1. modprobe says that that is a FATAL error, but it isn't. Its due to the --first-time option used in the modprobe.conf install line for the snd-emu10k1 module. I'd have to monkey with Mandriva's emu10k1 modprobe.conf configuration to get this to work cleanly.

I'm not sure whether this should be reported as a bug, or whether Mandriva expects users to configure this module manually. Recommendations?

can you explain me how did you changed modprobe.conf? I've got the same problem.

I haven't changed modprobe.conf yet. I just manually load the module and ignore the error from modprobe. The error just means that snd-emu10k1 is already loaded -- the error comes from the --first-time argument used in the install snd-emu10k1 line.

I want to do a bit more research on the modprobe/insmod dependency chain. There has got to be a better way to fix this. Unfortunately I don't know how this was handled in previous releases and I don't want to reload an old version of Mandy just yet to take a look.