Mandriva Installation Options

johnz

hi, a couple of questions for you :deal:

:help: :help: :help:

below is one of the installation questions that is not understood by me

Mandriva is asking if you have any supplementary media to configure, do you know if the CD-ROM should be checked as i have a CD-ROM and wish to use it for music files when linux is installed?

19xc.png

the next visual at installation is asking about the workstation and server options.

3 things on this page i ask you about are:

Network Computer (client)

Development

and LSB

do you know what they are and stand for?

22kr.png

i dont know if the images will work because

on some forums they dont let you post images untill the 5 post

again imput is appreciated

On the first one you should answer "CD-ROM" if you also have the second and third CD of Mandriva, or "Network-something" if you don't have them and want to install extra packages from the net (you need a fast connection for that).

Network Copmputer should be checked in if you have other computers at home which you'd need to access from your Mandriva, Development is for creating Linux packages yourself (you will hardly need it for the first few months, at least), and LSB stands for "Linux Standard Base", and is again mainly for people that develop software.

Sorry scarecrow, that answer to the first part is incorrect about the cdroms.

What the install question panel is effectively asking is "do you have other data and/or packages on a cdrom that you wish to install that is NOT part of the 3 cdroms set being used for install". It is NOT referring to the #2 and #3 cdroms of the install set.

The Question about having the #2 and #3 cdroms is contained in a different panel.

I endorse your other detail though, well said.

Cheers. John.

Yes, AuusieJohn is right- the installer is already assuming that you DO have CD's 2 and 3, sorry for the confusion.

I went wrong mainly because I am forced to use the text mode installer on my main box (my videocard does not support any usable framebuffer mode, including vesa).