Dual boot on Sony Vaio FX-802

tons

Hi,

I installed Mandrake 9.0 next to WindowsXP on my Sony Vaio FX-802. I use Lilo to choose between them. When I switch on the machine everything is fine, the bootscreen appears and I can choose the OS. When I reboot Linux the system reboots but stops after the bios-screen. Turning it off and on and it boots ok (just the message the previous boot failed etc.) When I choose to turn of the machine in Linux it's ok and after turning it on again the bootscreen is there. When I reboot WindowsXP everything is fine.

How can I get Linux to let the notebook reboot properly?

Ton

My friend has the same problem on the same machine. We never got it to work properly (we never looked at it very much either). Just press the reset button and Voila. Or erase XP .. lol

MottS

My FXA63 has same problem. It is an ACPI issue and there isn't much that can be done about it until it is solved.

What is really lame is that linux doesn't cut the voltage to CPU like winblows does during non-peak use.

:cry:

My FXA63 has same problem.  It is an ACPI issue and there isn't much that can be done about it until it is solved.

What is really lame is that linux doesn't cut the voltage to CPU like winblows does during non-peak use.

:cry:

Hey.. I just configured the 2.4.20 kernel and there is lots of option about ACPI stuff. I've even seen that you can apply a patch to the kernel so that you get more options. You could try that .. ie the vanilla 2.4.20 kernel + the acpi patch...

Here is the website: http://acpi.sourceforge.net/

Hope this help

MOttS

Hmmm. I really hope they do work something out because I sure would like to be able to use Mandrake on my Sony without having to plug it in after 15 min.

I'm still pretty n00b when it comes to re-compiling the kernel. Probably will wait 'til 9.1 is final before I put it on the laptop. Don't want to blow any transistors or anything.