Switching from CRT to LCD Monitor [solved]

Guest cityboy

Guest cityboy

Hi all. This seems like a very good board.

I'll be switching from a CRT monitor to LCD (analog) on an LE2005 system. What would be the best way to reconfig X? Video card will remain the same.

Would I install the new monitor and then boot into failsafe mode (I'm using lilo) and then run XFdrake as root? I'm assuming there would be no problem with any hardware detection issues during boot into failsafe mode. It would only be when X is started that I would need to have the new monitor configured, is that right?

Or is there a more recommended way or additional steps than the above?

Would the procedure be the same if I was changing video cards as well?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edited by cityboy

Usually, no special step is needed. Turn off the PC, connect the monitor, boot to console, run XFdrake, choose your monitor from the list or, if it's not there, Generic Flat Panel, choose refresh rate and resolution. This should do. It's only when you have trouble with the standard setup, then you might need to do some custom tweaking.

[copy of preceding post removed by spinynorman - please use 'add reply' button]

You will most likely not be able to boot into X on restart with the new monitor as it will no doubt use different refresh rates.

What you need to do is consult the LCD's manual or Google and find out what refresh rates it uses, then login at the CLI (as X will not load) and use an editor (I like vim) to edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to update these settings. If you need help doing this, please ask.

EDIT: It might be easier than editing the file is to run xorgconfig:

# xorgconfig

I reccomend editing it yourself though, becasue then all you have to do is alter two lines instead of sitting through a whole script...

It can also be that harddrake will configure everything for you. I switched monitors on some boxes (19" to 17" and vice versa) and Mandriva configured everything. I didn't have to do anything later than switching the resolution from 1600x1200 to 1280x1024 (I prefer working with 85 MHz than 70 MHz ;))

Guest cityboy

Thanks, all. I appreciate the replies.

I think I'll try the mandriva tools first, as I'd rather not try to edit the xorg.conf file directly if I can avoid it. I'll print it out and read up on what the settings mean, as a backup plan, but I think it would be more foolproof for me to do it with the tools.

I like the board. This is a really good, helpful place to find out about how to do things.

Again, many thanks.