No sound with CDs or DVDs [solved]

Aomighty

I tried playing a DVD the other day and I could watch it just fine, but it played no sound. Same way with CDs, if I try to play it with KsCD, it plays nothing though it does recognize the tracks and such. Ripping CDs works fine and the resulting tracks play. I've tried it with artsdsp, which works with everything else, and that doesn't change anything. I've tried with mplayer and ogle, as well as with DMA both disabled and enabled in both the /dev/dvd/ and /dev/cdrom. I've tried it with Windows and it works, so it's not a hardware issue.

Edited by Aomighty

Yeah, it's turned up all the way. The error message given by gmplayer with console is:

Checking audio filter chain for 48000Hz/2ch/s16le -> 48000Hz/2ch/s16le...

AF_pre: 48000Hz/2ch/s16le

alsa-init: no soundcards found: Success

Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.

Audio: no sound

When done with kscd, it looks like it's playing and shows it playing, but nothing. I think it's something wrong with my system config. Driver is cmipci with a Riviera Turtle Beach sound card. Sound elsewhere works fine.

When you open Kmix (audio control) do you get the same as in the enclosed snapshot ???. Note that PCM must also be turned up and make sure that the button lights are light green as shown.

Also open Kde Control Centre and click on Sound then Sound System then in General make sure there is a tick in Enable the Sound System, then click on Hardware and put a tick in Full Duplex. Click apply and you should hopefully now have sound.

Cheers. John.

Warning: This advice may be counterproductive....

I was so glad I got MP3 and DVD right "out of the box" that I didnt check for simple cd audio. (Out of the box is actually a download version). Finally started tackling the no audio for cds, although KsCD listed tracks and Amarok seemed to show volume....no sound. I did all the stuff (almost) that people advised, nothing. Returned constantly to MMC to check boxes and try Alsa, Open, autodetect.....then gave up. Yesterday I tried audio cds on Totem Media Player. Pointed it to the CD mount. Suddenly , there is sound...on Totem. My theory? load up on the media players and one of them will probably grok your media.

This is far from a canonical and intelligent approach to problem solving however.

Go with the pros advice, and if all else fails? improvise maniacally...

LOL, it worked! Thanks scarecrow! For some reason DVD sound works now too, though it might've been that the sound just wasn't loud enough, dunno.

Thanks!

Edited by Aomighty

Aomighty.

That snapshot you showed was INPUT. What I showed you was OUTPUT in Kmix.

From your snapshot, you have all the INPUTS set to active. Unless you are recording from external sources, none of these should be active.

You did not say whether your OUTPUT settings are the same as I showed you in my snapshots which are OUTPUT and that is what determines whether you get sound out from your system.

See my INPUT snapshot and you will see that other than CD, everything else is deactivated. My sound system works Perfectly in all applications including CDs.

Leaving all of these activated can lead to a lot of noise being introduced into your system, including especially feedback squeal.

Cheers. John