New Laptop Install - No Network

Recked

Hello,

I am new to these boards and just installed the beta 2 software last night on my Sony Vaio laptop.

Everything went really well except for some reason even though I requested auto dhcp connectivity I can't get to my network or out to the net.

I woke up this a.m. wondering if perhaps the firewall is set to default to some setting that is not allowing this connectivity. I picked Standard in the security section of the install.

Not sure what else could be going on.

thanks

Moved from Installing Mandriva by theYinYeti. Welcome aboard!

... wondering if perhaps the firewall is set to default to some setting that is not allowing this connectivity. I picked Standard in the security section of the install.

Whatever the Internet connectivity problem is, it should not be because of the firewall, assuming you didn't change the firewall defaults. The default is to allow everything out to the Internet and only allow in what you initiated.

DNS? Or perhaps some other network or NIC configuration issue? Have you gone back through the Mandrake Control Center (MCC) configurations that you would have chosen during the install?

Usual advice is to post what output you get from the /sbin/ifconfig command and also what you get from: cat /etc/resolv.conf.

Is your Internet connection wireless, wired, dial-up or DSL?

Regarding not being able to get to your local network, are the other machines running linux or Windows or what?

EDIT: Oh, also post the output of /sbin/route.

Is the network service set to start at bootup? I think that's a configuration option in MCC, but I'm not in linux right now so I can't verify that. If it's not running, you could issue this command as the root user:

service network start

If the network service is not set to start at bootup, let us know and we can tell you how to configure that.

Edited by jboy

thanks jboy.

I will check the items you mention below.

I did not touch the firewall last night when I did the install and when I couldn't get connectivity the first time I went to MCC and ran the network set up a second and even third time making sure the the service started at boot.

I will check/post the log files you mention.

I connect to the internet via a cable modem hooked into aNetgear FVS318 ProSafe VPN Firewall (www.netgear.com/products/details/FVS318.php). The connection is wired. I made the point of "deleting" the wireless connetion when I went back into MCC for the laptop as I thought perhaps the wired and wirelss connetions were messing each other up. I changed one of the items to NONE I believe (not at home just now sorry).

I didnt' add any of the server info assuming DHCP/DNS would pick up the laptop without issue as other distros have.

thanks again