Wireless connection keeps dropping

Guest shadowmoses

Guest shadowmoses

Hi there i have a problem with my wireless connection;

I have a Belkin wi-fi PCI card in my desktop and it works fine with mandriva, it worked from the first boot up but the only problem i have encountered is;

It will randomly disconnect and not allow me to re-connect without a restart, is there anything i can do to stop these random drops of connection??

Thanks,

ShadOW :thanks:

Guest shadowmoses

i am not using the NSDIwrapper i am just using the card as "Ralink RT2500 802.11 Cardbus Reference Card" which mandriva seems to detect it as even though it is a belkin PCI wireless i tried to install it with the PC drivers through the ndsiwrapper program but it gave me an error message....

It works fine for about half an hour and then disconnects i then try to click "connect to wi-fi" in the configure network panel but with no success unless i reboot,

Many thanks,

ShadoW

Guest shadowmoses

Thanks for the help, sorry i have no idea what an ismod is??????? i havent tried restarting the network like you say but i will next time it goes down....

Is there any guess as to why it keeps dropping connection????becuase apart from this aspect of linux i am having great fun using it....

Thanks for the help, sorry i have no idea what an ismod is???????

Sorry, I was in a bit of a hurry when I worte those replies, if you open a terminal then type "su" without the quotes (it will ask you for the root password) then type "lsmod" you will be presented with a list of the current modules (drivers) that are being used. I've a feeling it will be ndiswrapper thats driving your wi-fi, but feel free to post the list here if you can't identify it.

Guest shadowmoses

I tried manually restarting the netwok when it goes down through Konsole and that works fine but still its very annoying how the card constantly drops connection...

Also when i try to use a different driver in the system configuration area it doesnt seem to let me proceed only allowing me to use: Rt2500 wireless Ralink driver.....I am not sure if this is the right driver as i am using a new Belkin wireless adapted i think its name is FD5000uk its the version 3....I am quiite sure its a Ralink chipset but it may be broadcom not too sure...

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks,

shadOW

That may just be the pitfalls of using Ndiswrapper. Though I've never used it (luckily my card has a native driver), I've heard it doesn't always work great. You can always try making sure you have the latest version of both the driver and ndiswrapper. Also, if you get annoyed with the network going down, you could write a script to quickly handle it, and even put it in your taskbar lol if you want really quick.