Mini Distros

Just downloaded the ISO for DSL (Damn Small Linux) 1.4 and was so impressed by the little bugger I was driven to post this. Is it just me, or are there others out there developing a fetish for small linux distros? From the one or two floppy deals like Floppix and Basic to the wave of - lets say under 100MB distros like DSL, Puppy, and so on, I m developing an odd collection of odd little but very functional distros.

Tonite its Puppy night. I just hope I can get the ISO to burn into a live cd. After hours of trial and error using Nero, I managed after about an hour under Mdk 10's K3b. Let me see if I got this right....you have what Windows sees as a winRAR package but what Linux reads as an iso image. In K3b you click on it till it shows you the files inside such as boot, vmlinuz....and burn?

Thats how I got the DSL up last nite. I think. Reading pages of burning iso images has just left me with more ways to get it wrong it seems. Any tips on a one two three approach using K3b would be appreciated.

Btw, the DSL, and Puppy come with some great features for install, update, apt-get, flash boot etc. Check em out....

Have you tried BBC? (Bootable Business Card) that's pretty sweet. LOAF is also amazing, just for the sheer size. And I also like Toolbox Linux, not sure if that is still around though.

Adding them to my list...thanks SoulSe...any word on Feather Linux? That one might break the 100MB barrier, I forget...

Have you seen this list of LiveCDs?  282 at the last count...  :)

I see an addiction coming on....thanks for the list, norm...

Loaded up the Puppy, and at first thought, no comparison to DSL....but its got AbiWord, Mozilla...its fast and loads a file immediately onto a FAT (or Ext 2 or 3) file to save desktop, changes , docs....comes with an Unleashed Cd....and you configure it a whole lot within the context of a 60MB distro.

If only it looked as good as DSL. Intstead it opts for a fvvwm desktop for supposedly nostalgic reasons?! Anyone nostalgic for Windows 95??? Gag. But you can switch to JWM. Two great minis IMHO...This is going to be the start of something obssessive, i can see it now...LOL

I have four favorite live cds of which only one is a mini-distro. 1. Slax, 2. DSL, 3. Knoppix, 4. Beatrix. Although Slax is not really small, it feels so, as it is a Slackware system. Knoppix is bloat, sure. And Beatrix and DSL are fun.

I have four favorite live cds of which only one is a mini-distro. 1. Slax, 2. DSL, 3. Knoppix, 4. Beatrix. Although Slax is not really small, it feels so, as it is a Slackware system. Knoppix is bloat, sure. And Beatrix and DSL are fun.

Update on the mini collection. SAM has a nice little Mandrake based live cd, and Slax is impressive at a mere 180-200 mb....although getting X to start up and KDE running was a bit of a headache. I think I have the oldest monitor in the world. It's top refresh rate is 60mhz. If you cant for the life of you get Slax running GUI using the boot prompts given (eg gui, guifast, guisafe) enter xorgconfig or xorgsetup to customize the start up script to recognize and use your hardware.

Another day, another mini distro....

The great thing about seeing all these different distros and systems? Makes you really appreciate Mandriva's quality, speed and effieciecy....