Help with Fish, SSH, SFTP, etc.

lakelover

Here's my situation: I've been trying to access my web page using the various secure file transfer protocols. None work. I'm running Mandriva 10.2 on kde 3.3. I have set up Fish with a password, which attempts to access my web page but I get a message that access is denied. I'm using a local ISP, and I've been unable to find out if their server supports SSH. I assume this is necessary before any secure file transfer works. Right? FTP works fine but I understand it is wide open for intrusion.

Jerry

have you checked your /etc/hosts.deny file to make sure it's not set to deny all?

Per your prompt I just checked and it is not set to deny all, and "host.allow" is set to all. One thing I'm not clear about is whether the secure ftp protocols work on all servers. I believe the ISP I use does have ssh enabled. The other thing I wonder about is that I have to supply a password to open my web page, but when I use ssh I have a password for that service but I'm not asked for a password for the web site. I tired setting the authentication for ssh the same as the web site but that didn't work either. Any more ideas?

wait, i think i might have misunderstood your question.

you're trying to access a remote machine, that is, a server that someone else is running that hosts your website? perhaps a shared hosting service? I don't think I was very awake last time I read your post :cheesy:

if thats the case, then:

If you can't access via SSH or SFTP it's likely that they don't allow it. My shared hosting server doesn't allow SSH/SFTP access, just regular FTP - also, SSH and SFTP are both part of the same server - if you have one you have the other, and most hosts don't want to give users shell access. This seems to be the case with most shared hosting sites.

If you can't access via SSH or SFTP it's likely that they don't allow it.  My shared hosting server doesn't allow SSH/SFTP access, just regular FTP - also, SSH and SFTP are both part of the same server - if you have one you have the other, and most hosts don't want to give users shell access.  This seems to be the case with most shared hosting sites.

Okay, thanks. . . I was afraid of that. Guess I'll have to stick with ftp.