kde headers

I am trying to compile digikam and need the kde headers. One option is to compile kde from source but I do not want to go down that track, even though I have successfully compiled gtk, wxgtk and gimp (-;

I have searched for files with names like kdelibs-devel* and kde-devel* but find myself getting confused. I have checked rpm.pbone.net.

I know that if the headers are in a non-standard location I need to set the PKG_PATH_CONFIG variable, but AFAIK I do not have any of the headers on my system.

Any suggestions? My experience of the past 18 months is that any I can solve any Linux compile problem, provided that I am very patient and persistant (-;

Thanks.

I do know about urpmi :D

Thanks for the file name. I had already used MCC software install to find the kde development package but had not been successful. The file name is not exactly intuitive. I have just pasted the name into the search window and there it is! Fortunately I am on DSL as the file is 96Meg.

I have run MCC Software update so I will check and see what is the latest binary version of digikam. I prefer to use urpmi rather than compiling but sometimes the latest version of a program has a feature that I want. That is why I compiled Gimp. I cannot remember why I want to compile digikam ( I have just come back to it after three months of working on something completely different) so maybe I do not need to do so. It all depends on how long it takes for a suitable binary package to appear.

That was the -devel.... file I needed. When I Installed it there was a bad signature problem but that is normal for Mandrivia B) I solved the problem and the digikam ./configure now finds the kde headers.

I knew that I would also need to install six other packages. All installed without a problem. ./configure finds four of them. It says that one of the others does not exist and the final one is an old version, even though pkg-config --modversion tells me otherwise. I suspect that I will need to set an environment variable.

All part of the fun of Linux. I have made very good progress and sometime in the next hour or six months expect to have digikam compiled :D

I have successfully compiled digikam :D

On my first look at it I noticed several significant improvements.

Compilation was not straightforward, but with experience you get to know what to check and how to interpret messages when things go wrong.

The critical factor in my success though was the kde development package name. :thanks: