IPod as External Drive

Codename.Dalit

Hello all,

New to Mandrake here.....

Before I formatted my windows drive I dumped 16GB of music in it, threw explorer, not Itunes. so how would I get Mandrake to reconize it as a regular external drive?

also, can anyone suggestion a good music playing software? Amarok is so sluggish and makes my comp lag out all the time

Edited by Codename.Dalit

Amarok is the best by far- simply do NOT use Arts as the default engine, but rather xine (gstreamer is also much better than Arts). Many good alternatives, .e.g. MPD and beep (= xmms with a GTK2 gui).

I don't have a IPod, but people that have it mount it without any problem under KDE with dbus/hal/ivman combo running.

Yeah....when I wrote that post I didnt even know what mounting was. I Messed around a bit in the forums and Konsole and figured out this is the command I need

mount -t fat32 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/ipod

but to do that, I need to create a /mnt/ipod. and I cannot create that without logging in under root.

can anyone tell me how to change to login screen from the windows-xp-kinda login to a windows-98 kinda login? so I can type in root, right now I can only select my user (Admin)

The "mount" command is/should be executed by the sysadmin (root).

Of course you CAN execute that command as plain user, either by adding that command to the user permitted ones -to do that you either have to change the "mount" executable attributes, or use "visudo" which allows you using some root-only apps as a common user, but in general it is much, much more safe to open a root console (or a normal console, type in"su" and enter the root password) than compromising your system security.

Surely enough it does NOT have the Windows feeling, but Linux is not windows- especially when it comes to security.

So simply open a root console, enter the root password, and then

mkdir /mnt/ipod

Then, proceed normally...

Your login screen may not display "root", but it's because it's hidden. Simply type root on the first box and the root pass on the second. However, there is no need to login under X as root (and not recommended, anyway)- you can all the time use a root console, or if you want to run any program as root when logged as common user (provided that you run the KDE desktop) alt+F2 and then "kdesu programx" to run "programx" as root.

Hope it helped...

Thanks that post helped me alot

one problem though

[admin@localhost admin]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost admin]# mkdir /mnt/ipod
[root@localhost admin]# mount -t fat32 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/ipod
mount: fs type fat32 not supported by kernel

I believe fat32 has a different name on linux? thats probably the problem

edit: snooped around the console and changed fat32 --> vfat now this error occurs

[admin@localhost admin]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost admin]# mount -t vfat /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/ipod
mount: special device /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 does not exist
[root@localhost admin]#

I simply copied the dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 from a seperate post about mounting a firewire device. anyone have any clue what it should be?

Edited by Codename.Dalit

I don't have an ipod but was under the impression you needed some special software to access it under linux. Could be way off base here. Try this. As root run:

# fdisk -l

That should give a listing of all drives/partitions that linux recognizes, whether mounted or not. This stuff:

/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1

is the devfs style of referring to scsi drives. In anything running the 2.6 kernel, you normally don't use devfs, but rather use udev. That's usually designated /dev/sd**. The fdisk -l will tell you if this is the problem.

You only need software to load music for listening back on the ipod, which requires the maintenance of a disk-side itunes database. But to use the ipod as an external hard drive, all you have to do it mount it, like you would any other usb drive.

You can even mount "Apple" formatted ipods if you haave HFS+ filesystem support compiled into your kernel, otherwise fat32 is the way.

I once formatted an ipod to reiserfs to see what would happen - made quite a nice external, journaled drive. This, of course, was not an ipod I owned :P and I put it back to HFS+ a day later.