can't print text correctly

beesea

last night for some reason text started to not print correctly. i'm talking about just words. images print out fine. black text prints out as if i'm running out of ink. however, if i print a black and white image it comes out fine. also, colored text prints out okay. on top of that, i have no such problem in windows.

about a week ago mandrake released printer driver updates. that screwed up my printer so i had to reinstall the old packages (mdk 9). however, i don't think that's the problem because i've printed successfully since the reinstall of the old rpms.

so i don't think its the black cartridge running out of ink, and i don't think its the driver. anyone got any ideas?

My only guess is that f you have a 3 color + black cartridge that the images are accually being printed using a mix of the three colors to make black and white images And the text since it prints in a different way uses just the black part of the cartridge. So the black part of the cartridge is either dirty or running out of ink or the contacts are not working right. Try everything and post back.

The new drivers might have changed how the ink is used a little in order to try to save more ink.

Try converting the text page to a graphic page and printing that. Try to print a color page then the same page after converting to BW. Also try to print the color image directly to BW. Also try printing a BW image using the color drivers. IF you see a change in these images then its the way the cartridge is being used. They should all come out looking the same.