Segmentation Fault on DrakMenu [solved]

steppenwolf1984

Every time I have installed Mdk 10.1 I have been suprised by whether or not drakmenu will run. Either it works fine, or immediately from install, it begins to load a gui, loads icons, then poof...vanishes without a trace. Trying to run it from command line gives the warning "segmetation fault" and thats it.

On a number of times I tinkered with removing and reistalling the app and making various tweaks which I really shouldve kept a record of since I can sometimes get it to run ok after hacking about with it. Any other s have this problem? Is there a solution besides hit and miss, and running Kmenuedit instead? Even in Control Panel, the option to edit the menu relies on Drakmenu ; which as I described, appears then vanishes.

Thanks for the speedy answer. Is strace for wiping out verbose error logs? I may have a huge one already from all that harmless "click lets try it again, click' fiddling. I glean from your post that its best to let failed apps lie and stick with the kmenuedit if i need it, rather than re-reinstall all the perl, fonts and libs involved in troubleshooting ...? Ignore? I can do that....LOL :cheesy:

Hi,

My answer is hardly adequate, but here it is (ignore if you want):

Menudrake actually only handles menufiles, each of which is a file containing the menu entries for a given package. menufiles are the configuration files for the "menu" program, which is itself in the menu package.

See here for man page:

http://dpobel.free.fr/man/html/affiche_man...3/man/menufile/

In the past, I've always found more convenient to directly deal with those files, rather than using a tool, because this way, I can backup the files I write, and reinstall them if I reinstall Mandrake.

Nowadays, I just don't use the menu anymore :lol: I use tool bars (gnome-panel currently).

Yves

No, strace is a commandline debugger.

Using the above syntax you will find a large textfile named "drakmenuerr" (without extension) at your /root directory.

On Mandriva it's (IMHO) best using MenuDrake, and not at all kmenuedit.

Many thanks, will try it when I get home to my penguin box. The odd thing is how it either acts up upon installing the OS, or it doesnt. Will try the strace and let you know.

Yin yeti, the problem comes up when I want to alter the menu for non KDE apps. Can I add items to a menu, direct from the file folders? :screwy: That would be good to know for future reference. Gracias everyone.

Ran strace and got a copious amount of debugging info I didnt know what to do with. Amazing tool I didnt know I had installed.

Finally "fixed" the problem by removing, then reinstalling the app (menudrake, and drakconf) and double checking all the configs for the draktools. Seems that the logon was set to 'none' for the 'run previous session' and 'keep # of previous sessions' ( not the exact words but hopefully conveys the idea) and I switched it to run a previous setup. Logged into root where all those strace docs were waiting....and menudrake was up and running as root and user. Then I found a comment on this site about making an MK disc, where the poster (Anne?) mentioned to configure the drakmenu IMMEDIATELY after install, so as to avoid the 'menu bug.' I think thats the key, run and configure menudrake immediately after an install if you want to use it. Just a guess. It isnt so much as a bug as it is proof that just mucking around with settings has an equal and opposite reaction somewhere else....Thanks for the tips though, and hope this rambelogue can help another user with a busted menudrake. :banana: