depmod usb-storage

ok I read the man and couldn't make sense of it.

I wanted to reboot the usb-storage module of the lap because it was failing to re-detect my memory card. I then put depmod usb-storage and didn't worked. The next time I reboot the lap I got into the issue that it couldnt load any module meaning that it couldnt mount the audio, the xfs reiserfs type partitions and I end up with and with no home/ partition.

So what I did was several tries re-mounting.

modprobe usb-storage

but got that the module wasn't found...

then I did depmod -a

this make a file in /usr/lib/2.6.8-12mdk/modules/modprobe.dep

full with all the links to the modules, after rebooting, everything went on smoothly..

But I wanna know what did I just did and why did that happened. Yes I read the man plenty of times but all I could make this is that....

when depmod has no arguments, -a is assumed and that breaks all the paths to the modules as well as their dependencies.

PD: And I still have the doubt about resetting the way usb-storage operate.

Did you try "usb_storage" instead?

Or insmod / rmmod on place of modprobe -something?

I'm using all the time "rmmod usb_storage" whenever I want to use my external USB harddisk (NTFS formatted) on my W2000 VMware machine, to avoid silly messages like the device being already occupied by the host OS...

It's Archlinux 0.7+, not Mandriva, but the logic is identical (as well as the kernel revisions).

Edited by scarecrow

I'll try rmmod in the future, however which scenarios do you use it. I mean my external HD is perfect when I start, but if I unplug it and plug it back in it just dont get recognized and thats when problems start.

So my question is, should I use rmmod usb-storage; insmod usb-storage; or is there a way to restart the service (as oposed to remove and insert back the module).

It just sound too low level to reset the usb-storage locator process.

Plugging/unplugging your external HD is something that involves the hotplug daemon (as well as other daemons, like message bus/hal/ivman), and hotplug according to some is buggy...

I'm afraid I cannot help too much on the issue, as the distro I'm using (Arch Linux) offers a fair hotpug substitute named hwd (and which I'm using instead), which DOES work fine.

I use rmmod in those cases I do not want the running OS NOT having access to my removable media/devices (either USB HD or pen drives), and insmod whenever I want to "restore order".

Whenever I use my VMware machine I also use "rmmod usblp" to release my USB printer, and occasinally for my USB scanner.

Of course this is not necessary if you don't want harware access by non- native applications (dunno about Wine, as I very rarely use there apps which would like access to devices).

I would need to look more into this, I would like to understand better this subject. When I start Mandriva 10.2 I get a message saying that it use udev instead of devfs and that also hal is present, however is rather new and I need to learn how it works and how to work with them.

I dunno about hwd and I hope someone else who have understood the strugle with hotplug.