Tv Card dramas

Guest illusiondesigns

Guest illusiondesigns

Hey,

well I am new to Linux and here. I have recently installed Mandriva LE 2005. I have been using Windows up to now but have found it extremely buggy. I bought a tv card for Windows and have been using it with Windows, when I swapped to Mandriva I was under the impression that I would be able to use this card with the system.

The card I am using is a LifeView or FlyTV. It has a Phillips Semiconductor SA7134 chipset. I am also using Mandriva LE 2005.

I am sorry if any of that sounded stupid, I am new to Linux.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this

I have a (almost) working PCTV Stereo, which is also SAA7134-based, so surely your card can work too.

You may try and add an options line to your modprobe.conf file. This URL may help:

http://www.linuxtv.org/v4lwiki/index.php/CARDLIST.saa7134

I don't know your computing level, so don't hesitate to say so, if what I say sounds like martian talk :lol:.

Yves.

Being the root user, you should edit the /etc/modprobe.conf file, and make sure there's a line in it like this:

options saa7134 card=XX

where XX, according to this URL:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.6/13-rc3/...ARDLIST.saa7134

...is either 34, 39, or 54.

Next, make sure that the saa7134 is loaded. Still as root, execute (# is root's shell prompt, not something to type):

# lsmod | grep -i '\(saa7134\|tda\)'

If saa7134 isn't listed by the above command, then it is not loaded. To make sure it will get loaded next time, add a line to /etc/modprobe.preload with this content only:

saa7134

Finally, as you have changed the contents of /etc/modprobe.conf, we'll reload the driver, like this:

# modprobe -r saa7134 ...
# modprobe saa7134 ...

where ... stands for the list of any other module that appears in the leftmost column from the above result of lsmod|grep.

Yves.