Difference between CUPS and LPRNG printing

Guest adamsjw2

Guest adamsjw2

Greetings all,

I still can't print to my network printer which is attached to a Win2k server in MDK 9.0. I installed RH 8.0 and used their printer config wizard to set up my printer and it works great. I noticed that RH is using lprng to print and not CUPS. In fact CUPS isn't even installed. Can I use this in MDK and if so, how do I do this?

TIA,

Jim Adams

Maysville KY USA

I did one installation of Red Hat 8.0 and noticed that CUPS was not their default printer software. Nevertheless, all indications are that Red Hat will switch to CUPS withe the next release. Therefore, I installed CUPS on the machine rather than learn lprng.

I would once again suggest that you look into your samba server configuration, maybe even see if it is running, and use smbclient to check the connection to your W2K server. :wink:

Guest adamsjw2

popeye,

I'm going to re-install MDK 9.0 and hope that CUPS and Samba will work correctly. I've looked at the smb.conf files on my RH install and I think I can use some of this info. I'm still puzzled why it won't work, but until I dig a little deeper, I probably won't know.

Thanks,

Jim

If you are using a recent model of HP printer, you will be jumping through several hoops to get CUPS running. There are directions for installing the drivers on HP's open source pages. After running Red Hat for about a month, I could see no significant advantages to it over Mandrake except for gotchas like supermount. But then it has its own like the HP printer problem. The only thing that surprised me was the much greater number of KDE apps in Redhat and getting rid of bluecurve was no problem and I ended up with Keramik.

Counterpsy