Kdm not working correctly

Distro is Debian pure, 3.1 stable. Here's the problem:

If I start xdm, it will always prompt me for a username and password, however, since I'm the only one using the computer, I want auto-login. So I resort to kdm.

When I start kdm, even though I have it all configured to auto-login and all (as well as using dpkg-reconfigure to make sure it's starting kdm and not xdm), all it gives me is a little console prompt in a white box (a screenshot is included). If I type startkde it works like normal, but I have to keep the box open or KDE will close. What am I doing wrong with the kdm config?

, or am I doing anything wrong at all?

I believe the problem is something with my .Xauthority file, as if I try to start synaptic, for example, as root, it gives me the following:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server

Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

However, starting synaptic with "sudo synaptic" works fine. :unsure:

I tried copying over my Mandrake .Xauthority file, and it made no difference. Someone brought up the possibility of GTK libraries not installed, but both libstdc++5 and libstdc++6 are installed. Any ideas of what other GTK libraries I might need?

Also, the kdm log file shows nothing strange. Seems like it just starts up okay. Here's a screenshot of what happens when I start it up:

post-8974-1123310789_thumb.jpg

Thanks again all :).

Edited by Aomighty

While, in /etc/inittab, it says at the top:

# /etc/inittab: init(8) configuration.

# $Id: inittab,v 1.91 2002/01/25 13:35:21 miquels Exp $

# The default runlevel.

id:2:initdefault:

I tried changing the default to 5, and it does the same thing. KDM won't even work with runlevel 2 now. I set it up "supposedly" to use KDM with "dpkg-reconfigure kdm" and it starts xdm again!

Edited by Aomighty

i just thought a bit about this:

Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Invalid MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1 key

and it reminded me of a problem i had in yoper which has to do with some problems between sudo and root accounts. i solved it the following way: run from a terminal as normal user

xhost +localhost

then switch to root mode in the terminal and type

set DISPLAY=localhost:0.0

after that, try to configure kdm in kcontrol again as root. i am not sure if that will solve the kdm problem but maybe it helps. who knows?

Well, I tried as you said, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I then tried running xhost + as root and now I can open kate and such as root! :)

Anyway, I figured out, it seems the problem itself is not with kdm. If I use Ctr+Alt+Backspace to restart X after starting with KDM, then it goes to a KDM login screen like it should, and if I login goes to the prompt. The missing step is that it doesn't automatically do "startkde". That's all I need to do. Adding it to my .bashrc didn't work. Any ideas on why it doesn't startkde or how I could make it do so?

Edited by Aomighty

Well, it start kde this time, however, the white console window is still there, and when I start a konsole window and such it'll say "kde is already running, etc". Is there any other file I could put it in? Maybe one of the rc.d files and such?

Edited by Aomighty

you could create a new startscript and add it to the init scripts of your system i guess. but don't ask me how this script should look like. i am no programer of any sort. :geek:

Well, I guess I'll just type my password to log into xdm every time. I experimented some and I can't think of any way to do this. Thanks for fixing the "kate" problem with xhosts.

Edited by Aomighty