Questions about Mandrake

bim54

Hi,

I'm pretty new at Linux. Though I am very well versed in MS OSs, I know very little with regards to Linux.

Over the past week I've been trying some different distros of it. So far I've installed Mepis, Ubuntu and presently have Kubuntu. I have mixed emotions about all of them at this point and can't say that any of them are reaching out to grab my total attention.

I really want/need to learn Linux and I'm looking for one that will be "The One".

Right now I have my system set up as a dual boot with XP Pro using the "Grub" that came with the Ubuntu/Kubuntu distros.

Question 1: Ease of installation. Would the Mandrake installation be able to use/reuse the existing Grub or will I have to do something else for the dual boot? Although I do have things backed up, I really don't want to risk any more than I have a reinstall WinXP.

Question 2. Ease of use compared to the other distros I've mentioned. Is the learning about the same, harder or easier? (opinions)

Question 3. Support. Though I've seen the "Mandrake Linux" name considerably more often over the years than the other distros, how is the support in general?

Thank in advance

welcome aboard bim :)

if you are willing to learn linux, then everything should be fine, as long as you keep your frustration level low. i say this in advance because many users expect linux to behave/work exactly the same way windows does but you cannot compare linux to windows 1:1 as you can't compare mac to windows 1:1. as long as you respect that linux does things different than windows, you will learn to use and to love the system, i guess. now to your questions:

1. ease of installation: mandriva is currently the most easily installed distro available (especially the partitioning tool is exceptional). if you have managed to install ubuntu, you can install mandriva with closed eyes.

2. ease of use: mandriva is one of the best in this respect for users who come from windows. while some distributions require the user to configure the system with many different tools, cluttered at various places or even hacking the config files with an editor, mandriva does most things in an easy and logical way. all important configuration tools are packed together in the mandriva control center. software updates, server settings, user settings, boot preferences,... just take a look at it. :) mandriva is one of the best distros to start your linux experience imho. once you know it, you might feel fit/want to check other distros. some try other distros later but most stick with mandriva afaik.

3. support is something you can get but do not need to purchase imho. mandriva offers club membership with "special support" (check their website on the benefits of club membership), but i and many others never needed it. the cds/dvd are available for download for free so, unless you have some hardware that is very tricky, club membership is not necessary. support is granted usually for three years, just like patches and updates.

when you install mandriva, you can select to use grub instead of lilo as boot manager, thus the system will overwrite the masterboot record unless you tell it not to do it. it will set up a dual boot for linux/winxp by default.

if you have more questions, just ask us. :)

good luck.

Thank you for your reply I think I will give this a try. I've been doing a bit more reading on it.

One last question.

Is it the "Mandriva Linux 10.1" that I should download and install? I am using an Intel based board with an Intel 2.4 ghz processor.

Welcome!

1. Yes, your existing grub menu can be reused. See this:

https://mandrivausers.org/index.php?showtop...ndpost&p=197557

Note the first 4 posts in that thread for various options (e.g., while trying out Mandriva you could also boot it with a bootloader floppy before commiting to adding it to your grub menu).

2. Of the 3 distros you've mentioned, I've installed Mandriva and Mepis. Mepis is very nice, but IMO I'd give the edge to LE2005 for being easier to learn/administer. The available tools like the Mandrake Configuration Center (MCC) are great. Prior to installing, familiarize yourself with the install process by reviewing these slides:

http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slidesho...ion+screenshots

3. You've found the best support side for Mandriva right here! The folks around here are very helpful and knowledgeable. Really good documentation too. Be sure you install the following doc packages:

mandrake-doc-Starter-en-10.2-2mdk

mandrake-doc-Drakxtools-Guide-en-10.2-2mdk

If you have any problems, post here and somebody will help you out.

Good luck with it.

Hello Arctic!

Damn you're fast!!!

That's twice now when I finished replying I saw that you answered the question first.

Anyway, I'm glad to say hello to you as you are clearly one of the support rocks around here! <among many others>

I see that you also post at the Ubuntu forum and perhaps some others as well. Anyway, I always value your posts, so thanks for all your contributions.

Edited by jboy