Problems booting after shutdown

Ross L.

I always seem to have this issue when I install Linux. If it gets shutdown, it won't boot again. Currently Linux is hanging up during the load services segment, and this always seems to happen. I am almost ready to give up hope on Linux.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT* For the record I am using Mandriva LE 2005 on an AMD Duron 1200, which is in a VIA KT133A K7T Turbo-R motherboard, a 8GB Maxtor HD, 512MB RAM, and an S3 64V+ 4MB video card (getting a Xtasy Radeon 9550 AGP as a replacement for it later today).

Edited by Ross L.

could you please give us more detailed information on

1. which system you are using (10.0/10.1/2005LE/...)?

2. which hardware you have?

3. where the system exactly hangs at boot (press "esc" in order to see the boot-log)?

when you boot mandriva, try the following (most common solution):

at the first splash screen (=lilo boot selection) hit "F1" and select expert options. when you get to a prompt, try to boot your system with the following command:

linux noapic nolapic

if that doesn not work, please give us again detailed information where the system hang. without proper information we can hardly do good troubleshooting.

good luck :)

edit: thank you for the pc-specs. :)

Edited by arctic

Could you give some details?

If I understand correctly:

- If you're in Linux, and you reboot, then Linux works fine.

- If you're in Linux, and you halt, then Linux freezes on next boot somewhere after the "Entering runlevel 5" line. In that case, how do you go in Linux again? In this situation, how do you turn the PC off, and is the boot OK thereafter?

- What happens when you halt in Windows, and boot in Linux? Does it freeze the same as if you had halted in Linux?

Also, do you have the possibility of trying a live CD (Knoppix for example), and halting from there, and booting the live CD again?

Yves.

Well I managed to get in somehow using the interactive setup. I think my NumLock process is corrupted. It hangs up there a lot. Any ideas what might be causing the error? I am pretty sure it is software at this point. I am hoping to have this solved by Sunday, as this is a present for my best friend, because his previous PC running XP crashed a lot. Thanks for your help!

*EDIT*

Could you give some details?

If I understand correctly:

- If you're in Linux, and you reboot, then Linux works fine.

- If you're in Linux, and you halt, then Linux freezes on next boot somewhere after the "Entering runlevel 5" line. In that case, how do you go in Linux again? In this situation, how do you turn the PC off, and is the boot OK thereafter?

- What happens when you halt in Windows, and boot in Linux? Does it freeze the same as if you had halted in Linux?

Also, do you have the possibility of trying a live CD (Knoppix for example), and halting from there, and booting the live CD again?

Yves.

I don't have a LiveCD unfortunately. I have never rebooted in Linux. I will go try it and see what happens. The second question is definately one I would like to know the answer to, and as for the 3rd one, I don't have Windows on this pc for a reason. ;)

Edited by Ross L.

Well when I rebooted it still hangs up but this time it was at Display Manaager. Grr.... I will figure how to get this thing to boot....

*EDIT* And the results are in folks! I have reason to believe that one of the following services is keeping me from booting: Numlock (it hangs up here for a good 10-30 seconds sometimes), and Rawdevices. Also, is there a way I can keep services from loading at bootup and just start them manually in Mandriva?

Edited by Ross L.

Sure. As root:

# service numlock start       starts the "numlock" service
# service httpd restart       restarts Apache
# service rawdevices stop     stops the "rawdevices" service
# chkconfig --del numlock     prevents "numlock" from starting on next boot-ups
# chkconfig --add postfix     ensures that "postfix" will start on next boot-ups

Yves.

try booting your system in failsafe mode. at the first prompt, type "init3". then continue until you get to the second login. now log in as root. once you have done this, type "mcc". the control center should pop up. go to the "system" section. there you can manage the services that run on startup and here you will find the numlock-service. uncheck its box and try a reboot of the system.

Well now this is a real dilemna. I unchecked stuff and now I don't have DSL internet ability anymore. Everytime I go to start HalDaemon inside Linux, Linux literally freezes. :S I am gonna see if I can boot with it because I am pretty sure that I need it to use DSL.

you can start the system with minimal services and activate them one by one later in the mcc.

i also suggest to check the systems overall hardware performance/compatibility with either knoppix or kanotix live cds. these are very very useful for potential troubleshooting.