Need help with .wma files

Bossieman

Im sorry but exactly what do I have to do? I want both mplayer and noatun to play .wma files. I know I have installed codec pack "alL" for mplayer but still doesnt work. What is this plf ?

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html

Get from there either the "essential" or the "all codecs" package for linux (read their documentation about the differences. Then extract it as root to your codecs directory ( /usr/lib/win32 for my Arch Linux, I can recall it's something very similar in Mandriva) and you are set. Mandriva's RPM misses codecs which exist at their site due to licensing issues.

PLF= Penguin Liberation Front, this is where all the non-GPL Mandriva RPM's are stored.

VLC is OK for .wma, but the .wmv output is very choppy for me, quite worse than xine or mplayer.

http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/codecs.html

Get from there either the "essential" or the "all codecs" package for linux (read their documentation about the differences. Then extract it as root to your codecs directory ( /usr/lib/win32 for my Arch Linux, I can recall it's something very similar in Mandriva) and you are set. Mandriva's RPM misses codecs which exist at their site due to licensing issues.

I have already all of the there. Still doesnt work

Strange... just hearing a couple of .wma files via xine/kaffeine. Streaming .asf also works fine (via Konqueror anyway, via Firefox it's a hit or miss).

Are you sure your .wma files don't have DRM stamps, or are created with a WMP 11 beta?

If sure, check your KDE settings and see which application has priority for accessing files with the .wma extension.

Edited by scarecrow

What webshop? Sounds like a DRM problem. If you're in the US and it's a DRM problem you better stop now. Cracking drm protected files is against the law. Advize your friend to buy her music in a different shop.

A swdish webshop, she payed alot for them and she cant play them, she thought it would be mp3 , but no, damn .wma files