Problem with Linux / Windows P2P networking

MandrakeNewbie

I have an old Compaq Server running Mandrake 10.2 Limited Edition 2005 that I am trying to share out the hard drive to enable a Windows 98 SE laptop and a Windows ME desktop to store files there. I had the 2 Windows boxes set up on a P2P network through a Dlink DL604 router and was file sharing across the two without any problems.

When I installed the Mandrake software on the server, I managed to get to a point where I could see the mdkgroup from the windows boxes but couldn't get to the shares on the Mandrake box. I changed my windows Workgroup to match the MDKGroup workgroup - thinking this might help but it didn't. I have noticed the url does not have MDKgroup in the name - it has \\jeepers\jeepmanuals (jeepers is what my workgroup name use to be on the window side - I am not quite sure where I have entered this into the Mandrake box.)

When I try to open the share on the Mandrake box from the Windows ME desktop, I get an error message telling me "The share name was not found. Be sure you typed it correctly."

When on the Mandrake box, that is running KDE 3.3, I use Nautilus to try to find the Windows ME box but I can't seem to find it.

I managed to install Samba SWAT from a list of applications available for install. But when I try Localhost:901 from Moxilla FireFox, I get and error message that the connection was refused.

I know just enough to be semi-dangerous with configurations. I try to work this stuff out by myself but will not have any hair left if I don't get some help from one of you kind people in this forum.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by MandrakeNewbie