Hardware questions (le2005)

riseringseeker

I successfully installed LE2005 on both my laptop and desktop. Granted, on the laptop I had to do it more than once to get the Linksys wireless card working correctly (I hope I will remember to ALWAYS do updates before setting up something that is not in the base install!), but once I did that, it was an easy install and it is working fine now.

I've gotten pretty much everything done without troubling too many people with stupid questions - only asked one about the install thus far... I do have two hardware questions though.

I have what seems to be a conexant dial-up modem in this HP ze4911us laptop (am on the road now and cannot remember what the desktop has - wouldn't surprise me if it was similar though).

In the reading I have done here and other places, it seems that without paying Linuxant for what IMHO should be a free driver, I will not be able to get it to work - at least not as a fax modem. Now in the 6 months I've had this box, I have only wanted/needed dialup or fax twice, but it would be nice if I could get it to work, if for no other reason than it should. Is there a way with my kernel to get the modem alive and working like it should without paying for a driver? (And no, my need is not great enough to buy an external modem and pack it around the world everytime I go to work)

I also have a cheapie digital camera that I bought in Hong Kong - a Z-Cyber PiXo 5.5

This camera can also be used as a webcam under windows, but would like to have it work under Linux as well. (I was very happy when it needed no software to look at/download the pictures using Linux - did on Windoze)

If anyone can tell me where I can find something that might work as a driver, or that I should just forget even trying - either way I would appreciate it.

There are 2 types of modems: hardware (these work in linux) and software (the winmodems) modems. If you have a winmodem it might not work in Linux. For some types and models there are open sourec drivers. Check with the exact name, model and chip (google is your friend here) to see if it will work.

The camera: if it is detected with an usb cable it could work automatically. See if a /dev/videox (where x =0, 1 or 2 ...) is created when you set the camera in 'movie' mode. If there is install gnomemeeting. Mercury or whatever you want to use the cam.

There are 2 types of modems: hardware (these work in linux) and software (the winmodems) modems. If you have a winmodem it might not work in Linux. For some types and models there are open sourec drivers. Check with the exact name, model and chip (google is your friend here) to see if it will work.

I am well aware of the hardware support problem, or better put, the hardware manufacturers total reliance on Redmond to get their bits of silicon to actually do something - I first experienced this when was running OS/2.

I get two different answers from scanModem and listmodem both as to what type of modem I have!  Not only that, they have different answers.  As nearly as I can determine, from these two sources, as well as checking out the HP.com site, I have an HSF modem with a device ID of 24c6 (which gets 0 hits on google), and a device name of "ICH4 <AC `97 Modem>".  Windows claims it's a "Soft v92 Data Fax modem with Smart CP". 

Believe me, I know that google is a good thing!  If I had to pay them by the hour for the last few days, would probably have to just sign over my paycheck.  I find drivers for different kernels, or that I have to pay for.  I was just hoping someone could point me to a driver (even a windriver that is not an exe file - ndiswrapper seems to work quite well in LE2005!) that would give me functionality without having to kick out any $.

The camera: if it is detected with an usb cable it could work automatically. See if a /dev/videox (where x =0, 1 or 2 ...) is created when you set the camera in 'movie' mode. If there is install gnomemeeting. Mercury or whatever you want to use the cam.

Nope, no videoX file is created when it is plugged in. I sincerely doubt I can get it to work, but have found that asking doesn't cost much, and I often get very good help here.

When I plug it in the USB cable, the camera screen blinks and asks "Mass Storage or PC Cam". If I select Mass Storage, an icon pops up on the desktop and I can get my pictures off of it. Nothing seems to happen when I select PC Cam. Out of curiosity, the camera also has a video-out port (though I do not have the cable with me, nor a video-in on the laptop). Would there be any way to get it to work that way?

Modem: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Asus_S5N#Modem. It might work with the slmodem drivers.

As for the camera: I'll try with my powershot as soon as I have time. :)

Ok I had some time (to google :) ) and found this: http://forums.devshed.com/showthread.php?s...l+camera+webcam

It seems to work not through the usb connection but with the video out (for connection to a tv) and a capture card.