Boot Problems

Dingles

I recently downloaded Linux, and installed it perfectly. Everything seems to work fine, until I try and load the actual OS. It's configured as a duel boot with Mandrake Linux and Windows XP.

The crash occurs when the boot up screen is doing a system check, and it freezes after it says "Swap Partition Activating [ok]".

Please help!

:furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3:

Um, I'm using version 10.2, and i just downloaded it this morning. My motherboard is an ASUS P4PE, my graphics card is an ASUS Nvidia T14200 8x AGP, my sound card is just an ordinary sound blaster... um...

I have a pentium 4, 2.4 GHz.. um... and a keyboard if that helps...

does usb really play a role in this?

oh, and i also cant get in in failsafe mode...

im starting to think my computer is a communist and that its against me... :wall:

Edited by Dingles

when the system starts, hit f1 for advanced options. then try booting with the following parameters:

linux noapic nolapic

does it work then?

What is this i586 business about anyway

linux distributions are available for different processor architectures, like the intel and amd based pc processors or the powerpc processors for macs. mac versions are marked as ppc isos, while pc-based isos will have more information.

ix86= general pc-processor

i386= runs on i386 processors (very old)

i486= runs on old i486 pc's like a 486-dx with 100 mhz

i586= intel pentium I and II and amd k6 based processors

i686= newer pentium III/IV and amd k7, duron, athlon processors.

Ok, I tried what you told me too... and guess what! It didnt work... Perhaps it didnt completely install or something...

By now, I think that I have tried installing it around 13 times... so um yeah... any help that actually helps would really be appreciated, otherwise thanks anyway.