can't send mail using SMTP [solved]

thinhla

I donwload thunderbird from Mozilla website and then extract as root to /usr/lib

So the program path to thunderbird as follow: /usr/lib/thunder/thunderbird

I have tried and setup using 2 different hosts (ipowerweb and site5) Both 2 hosts successfully retrieve mails without any problem. But the problem is that I can't seem to send mail using both hosts as SMTP out going mail server.

I have also tried to use Evolution freshly installed by default in LE2005. This is no luck either. Able to retrieve mails but not sending mail

Therefore, it's safe for me to say that it's not neither Thunderbird nor host server problem. Does anyone have any idea of what this is all about? How to check to fix the problem?

What is the exact error that you're getting?

What ISP are you using?

I am able to send mail using Outlook Express in Windows without a problem. I dont use my ISP as a send mail server. I use mail server from a web host

Nonethelesshere's the mail error message:

"The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.somehosting.com failed. Ther server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

I know I have tried to setup SMTP as instructed in FAQ from both web hosting and verified password serveral times. Still no luck

Most steps taken were outlined in the original post

Installed LE2005 without Internet Program [ticked] cause I don't want to use Evolution and outdated Mozilla Firefox

Then download Thunderbird from mozilla website (actually I have this file located on my harddirve already)

Then as root extract thunderbird.tar file to /usr/lib/thunderbird

To start thunderbird, I give a command: /usr/lib/thunderbird/thunderbird

The program pops-up and I setup email account as following:

POP mail server: mail.myhost.com

Port 110

Username: myname@myhost.com

SMTP Outgoing Server:

Server: mail.myhost.com

Port: 25

Username and password: (ticked)

User myname@myhost.com

Password is controlled and saved as correct one since I am able to retrieve mails without a problem. I have contacted Tech support at iPowereweb. They advice me to try different e-mail client (which I dont like because I want to use thunderbird) better yet a different OS because they have tested on their end that everything is working properly.

I believe them since it's working OK under Outlook Express both sending and retrieving mails.

The outlines here are mostly default. Just a freshly installed LE2005 and thunderbird. Do you have any idea? I haven't tried with a different distros since now I am hooked to LE2005

I suspect that since I install/extract thunderbird.tar file as root to /usr/lib/thunderbird some file ares restricted by user account in /usr/lib/thunderbird

The reason I extract the tar file to /usr/lib/thunderbird is that I don't want to install in ~/$HOME/useraccount/thunderbird for every user. I might head to thunderbird forum but then most are windows user there.

This is straight from Mozilla website

" If you install Thunderbird on a multi-user system in an area in which there is restricted access privileges, you must run Thunderbird as a user with access to that location upon installation so that all initial startup files are generated. If this is not done, when a user without write access to the install location attempts to start Thunderbird, they will not have sufficient privileges to allow Thunderbird to generate the initial startup files it needs to operate."

Edited by thinhla

Updated:

From previous post, I want to try something else. I deleted /usr/lib/thunderbird folder as root and $HOME/.thunderbird preference folder.

Then extreact thunderbird.tar file to ~$HOME/.mozilla/thunderbird to deal with file permission.

To start a program I give a command: /home/<username>/.mozilla/thunderbird/thunderbird

Program pops-up fine and setup again as in my previous post. Unfortunately, the program is still not solved. the same error message appears:

"The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server mail.myhost.com failed. Ther server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator."

Again I can still retrieve new mails no problems.

Setup new out going mail server to Site5.com and still no luck. I am beat. :wall::pissedoff::puter:

Edited by thinhla

I don't think it's your install of thunderbird that is giving you the problem.

The reason I asked what ISP you use to connect to the internet, earlier, is that I have a similar problem sending mail on my laptop from home, but not at work (two difrent ISPs). And I have no problem rec. from either work or home. It turns out that somehow, and for some reason, Cox Communication (my work ISP) would block requests on smtp if they were originating from another ISP. Or maybe it was the other way around, don't remember - in any case, either my home or work ISP was blocking the requests. Now, you said that you had no problem in Outlook, so I don't think that's the problem either.

I'm still searching around to see if I can find something to help you.

try to telnet your smtp mail server via konsole

$telnet mail.myhost.com 25

(after you enter, it will show you something like below)

Trying <ip-of-mail-host>...

(If a message like below will show, this means that you are allowed to connect to myhost smtp server, and should be able to use it for sending email)

Connected to mail.myhost.com (xxx.yyy.zzz.xxx).

Escape character is '^]'.

220 mail.myhost.com ESMTP Postfix (asusming they used postfix)

(now try the ff: commands below if your really able to send)

mail from: user@myhost.com <hit enter>----------------- your username

rcpt to: user@your-other-email.com <hit enter> --------your other email just to test if your really allowed to send

data <hit enter>

type your message then enter

type . (dot) to end

quit

... if above, you got an error relay access denied, then you're not allowed to used thier smtp.

edit: btw, make sure that you have telnet client installed in your mdvLE

Edited by aioshin

Oh no! I just log-in Outlook and guess what can't send mail either. It turns out to be that my Rogers ISP is blocking it preventing from people sending SPAM using outsider senidng mail server.

I have been adviced and forced to use ISP SMTP send mail server. This just happens recently though.

Problems solved.

Marked the thtread Solved - Artificial Intelligence