totally stuck

Guest BlackMagix

Guest BlackMagix

Linux is killing my brain cells

ok i need help I need to set up a network beetween my Windows XP box and my Linux Box only thing is that i'm a total n00b when it comes to Linux and no idea even how to start

I need to know how to set up a simple network using my Linux box as host and my Windows XP box as client any help much appriciated

thx guys BlackMagix

What you are essentially aiming to do is configure your linux box as a Samba Server. Samba enables communications between a Microsnot machine and a Linux box.

The best place to start is with a program called Webmin. You can install it from your Mandrake cds.

Once you have Webmin installed, open up Mozilla and enter the following URL: https://localhost:10000

Webmin will prompt you to login and after that you will find a section for Samba where you can set everything up.

Make sure that you make the domain name in the Samba settings the same as that of your Windoze machine. Also, make sure your IPs match by the first three values, i.e. 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2

Once that is done, open up a terminal and ping your windows machine by it's IP. If you receive a ping reply, do the following:

# cd /etc/

# vim hosts (or whatever editor you use).

Now add your windows machine to the list of hosts.

Samba -should- now be ok with your setup. Install a program called gnomba (also on the cds) and see if it picks up your network.

Now, it is all up to you as to what you want to do with your network, print, share internet, etc. Post back here if you need help with those.

Hope this helps!

I really get the feeling he's just trying to setup a network, not necessarily a file server. I could be wrong. But, if he just wants to do simple internet connection sharing, that can be done through the mandrake control panel (type mcc in a terminal window if you can't find it anywhere else).

just look under Network & Internet->Connection Sharing