Dual Moniters

Guest mowerman

Guest mowerman

Bonsoir all,

I have recently installed MDK 9 and most devices are working OK

I have slight problem: I have two moniters 19" & 15" with two cards, when i boot up the 19" runs first, then it changes to the 15" to run MDK and the 19" loses the display, although it appears to be activated.

Have tried changing the moniter cables over, it runs in reverse the 19" stays running & the 15" packs up.

When I log off, I get a list of things closing down on the screen not working which then stops, telling me to power down, but the working screen remains blue.

I await your comments with interest and anticipation.....

:)

I have slight problem: I have two moniters 19" & 15" with two cards, when i boot up the 19" runs first, then it changes to the 15" to run MDK and the 19" loses the display, although it appears to be activated

When I log off, I get a list of things closing down on the screen not working which then stops, telling me to power down, but the working screen remains blue.

I guess that you mean that the 19'' runs in text mode, then when X starts, you only get a display on the 15'', and then, back in text mode the 19'' works again. Correct me if I'm wrong.

In text mode you'll always loose the display of one of the two monitors unless you configure your kernel to support text mode dualhead (which last time I checked, it was totally experimental and focused to matrox cards). AFAIK you should tell the bios which is going to be your default display.

In X you shouldn't get any problem at all, it is just a matter of configuring the server in the right way; you'll find in google a lot of examples of a /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 for dual head (be prepared to hack that file yourself by hand --not so hard as it will seem at first--). As your displays are so different I recomend you to not use the Xinerama option and define clearly the best modelines of each monitor. Also, IMHO, the best wm for such configuration will be fluxbox in both screens. But you can always have a different wm for each display (long time ago I used to have GNOME in one screen and twm in the other)

Guest BoyEnjinir

Aru's got it.

At boot, assuming 1 AGP and 1 PCI graphics card, you'll have to tell the BIOS which to use as primary: PCI or AGP.

I've never put two PCI graphics cards in. If it works, I'm sure it select by which slot it's in.

As for X: in the display section you tell the system which monitor is your primary and which your secondary. A section of my XF86Config follows, showing what the final configuration section would look like:

Section "ServerLayout"

Identifier "MainLayout"

Screen "SyncMaster700"

Screen "ProView" RightOf "SyncMaster700"

# Screen "Proview"

InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"

EndSection

The first defined SCREEN will be the primary in X. This is assuming the other sections (SCREEN, DEVICE, and MONITOR specifically) are already set up correctly for EACH monitor. What's easiest for me is to set up X for each monitor as a single head system first, tweek each to what I like, then combine the files and add the Server Layout Section.

Good luck!

This is kind of a similar question. How would you set up X so you can have more than one display on one monitor, like the virtual consoles F1-F6? Can KDM be run on more than one screen?

Andrew

This is kind of a similar question. How would you set up X so you can have more than one display on one monitor, like the virtual consoles F1-F6?

Not exactly a related question ;)

[arusabal@localhost ~]$ startx -- :1

will start a second X server on vt8 (DISPLAY=:1).

change the number of the display each time to launch more X servers.

Can KDM be run on more than one screen?

Andrew

sure it will, but I can't answer because I don't use KDM.

What I can tell you is how to do it with GDM and XDM. In order to start two X servers at the same time you'll need to edit the Xservers file or the gdm.conf file depending if you'll use XDM or GDM. Here are a couple of examples:

For gdm edit the file /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf:

[servers]

0=/usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 96 -nolisten tcp vt7

1=/usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 96 -nolisten tcp vt8

For xdm edit the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers:

:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp

:1 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -deferglyphs 16 -nolisten tcp

HTH